The Perma-Cool Automatic Transmission Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can get a remote hydraulic mount from northerntool.com for about $20+/-. The filters are more expensive ..but it will take you about 6 or so evolutions to catch up. You need some reducer bushings ..a couple of hose barbs ..and some space.

The filters will run you about $6-8 buck at any NAPA ..and there are loads of deals on ebay. The mounts are available too on ebay ..but they often are trumped by northerntool.com

Just put hydraulic filter into the search.

I have the Perma-Cool kit installed on my Escape and I'm very happy with it. It uses any Motorcraft FL1 oil filter or equivalent. Currently I have a Pure One equivalent to a Motorcraft FL300 (shorter version of an FL1).

Yes, Jim ..it's a pretty complete kit.

For $7 more bucks I'd really recommend that anyone considering a remote mount on anything ..grab the Spectre 5971 Easy Access Oil Change Kit available now on Amazon. More hardware than you can shake a stick at ..and an extractor pump that works VERY WELL.

You also get an easy setup for someone wanting to add bypass filtration ..in that the kit includes banjo bolt setup with a hose to allow draining directly to the bottom of the pan.

I got mine for $25. Apparently they have some "lot" type thing going on. If sales are stagnant, the price drops ..once the price piques interest ..it (seems automatic) goes back up ..then you hit a phase of "currently unavailable".

..but even at this price I consider it a bargain just for the hardware. Jeg's or Summit ..and even JCW will cost you more for much less.

So, the filter head from Spectre kit can be used for the transmission filter?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JMJNet

Thanks.

Yep, and it has enough fittings/nipples to allow you to have it (most likely) match the thread on your engine oil filter. That is, fewer spare parts.

The kit now lists for $47 and some change at Amazon.

Geez, talk about inflation
crazy2.gif

You have to hit it at the right time. I got it for $25+, iirc ..but it goes up to $56+ at times too.

If you compare it to the jeg's or summit trans kit ..it's got more hardware for less (or near the same) money after you figure the fixed handling fee from those outfits.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: JMJNet

Thanks.

Yep, and it has enough fittings/nipples to allow you to have it (most likely) match the thread on your engine oil filter. That is, fewer spare parts.

Cool! I will watch it to see when it is a good price. Won't need it in a hurry.

check into summit racing, i bought there brand kit which is of the same basic product for cheaper, and even comes with the permacool spin on filter, though its labeled the summit brand

Not a bad kit.
Parts Total: $31.95
Handling Charge: $9.75
Total Order: $41.70
Total amount charged at this time: $41.70

No multiple filter choices. No suction pump ..and a few other handy items for the hyper-luber
grin2.gif

So, for about $6 more (free shipping due to the price on Amazon) you get all of what the Summit setup does and a bit more.

Go to any good autoparts store that will let you look at the big filter catalog from WIX, Baldwin, or any of the big industrial filter makers. (And probably WIX, NAPA, and Baldwin are the only ones.)

Look for a filter element that (1) fits the thread, gasket face, length, and diameter you have to work with, and (2) is listed either for hydraulic use or combination engine oil & hydraulic use. These will filter ATF better than a filter listed just for engine oil.

A 51410 is a hydraulic/trans filter in the 3/4-16 thread for those interested. It doesn't have a bypass valve.

another is the 51641 ..but it's considered a bypass filter ..but has a 7-9gpm flow rating
54.gif

Just for the fun of it I ran the attribute search at Donaldson. Some of the numbers didn't x'ref to Wix ..but quite a few did.

w/bypass valves
51269 (10um nominal)

For those who may want to bookmark this utility, it often comes in handy. Not all the filters will x'ref to a wix.
Donaldson's filter attribute untility

Love that attribute utility. It helped me find the correct air filter for a Mitsubishi tractor with no documentation and a obsolete wix filter fitted. P181050.

Gary -I just picked up a hydraulic mount with filter from Northerntool. It looks very nice. It is rated for 10 microns. Any idea what media it uses? Im excited to get some fittings so that I can istall it next week! If the filter is of good quality I have no issues with buying a replacement filter when the time comes.

On topic. I picked up a Racor automatic transmission filter kit for $60. But Im having trouble finding a spot to put it. Heh. All the good spots are taken. I had a spot in mind when I bought it, but the A/C accumulator already has a home there I realized. I have to lift the car up when I get around to doing my valve body mod on the transmission, so maybe I will find a spot when Im under it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not having seen one, Gary and AzFireGuy79, do those Northern filters have any sort of mounting points on them? Can't tell from the pic. Also, it claims there is a bypass. Does the paperwork indicate at what pressure that bypass opens? Or is it in the filter? I'm sensitive to that aspect, having suffered a trans failure from a system that didn't. It was mostly my fault but a bypass would have saved me from my stupidity.

Also-

Onmo: Where on GGE did you find a Racor filter kit for $60? That unit was my first choice but the $129 price tag skeered me off.

how much of an issue is pressure drop across the element? Sure looks like the entire flow of ATF goes through the filter - not sure what that flowrate or pressure actually is...

I could see such an assembly being a big parasitic load or impede flow if not sized right, though likely Im just overthinking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back