Transmission fluid: Redline, Amsoil or RP? BMW E30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm trying to decide what fluid to use and can't decide between these 3.

I have a 1991 BMW 318iS (E30) with a Manual Getrag 240 transmission. It has a red label sticker saying it requires ATF. I'm pretty sure that BMW recommends Dexron III for this transmission.

I'm looking at:
1)Redline D4 ATF
2)Amsoil MTF
3)Royal Purple Synchromax

They all seem to have people who say they love them. I'm looking for feedback for use in this specific transmission or one of a similar type (other getrags from the 80's). I know a lot of guys also run the Redline MTL or MT-90 but I think if I go with RL I'd just go ATF.

This car won't see much if any driving time during cold weather months. It will also typically be used for aggressive driving.

I would go with Redline or Amsoil before using Royal Purple. It might be a good idea to go through all of the old posts on here about transmission fluid and that is where you will find your answer.

Quote:
It has a red label sticker saying it requires ATF. I'm pretty sure that BMW recommends Dexron III for this transmission.

Manual Transmission,No Label.....GL-4
80W[1]
Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90
Manual Transmission,Red Label.....AF3[2]
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
Automatic Transmission,4L30-E.....AF3
Torque-Drive™ Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATD)

2. Red identification tag located on the bell housing, case
has 17mm external hex head drain and fill plugs.

Originally Posted By: c3po
I would go with Redline or Amsoil before using Royal Purple. It might be a good idea to go through all of the old posts on here about transmission fluid and that is where you will find your answer.

Thanks, I searched and read a bunch of threads but like I said before a lot of people like each one. I'm trying to find out which one would be better for my specific application.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Manual Transmission,No Label.....GL-4
80W[1]
Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90
Manual Transmission,Red Label.....AF3[2]
Automatic Transmission,4L30-E.....AF3
Torque-Drive™ Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATD)

2. Red identification tag located on the bell housing, case
has 17mm external hex head drain and fill plugs.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I see you're an Amsoil guy though. What do you think about each of these products I mentioned?

I would go Redline all the way. Royal Purple-never. Amsoil maybe (never used it but many love it). Just my opinions based on using Redline and nothing scientific!

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

That you don't even have the Amsoil recommended product on your list that included an Amsoil product that you're considering ..and seeking insight about in a poll.
55.gif

I haven't a clue about the other products in your list. The MTF has given favorable results to my customers that have used it. I don't have anything that currently needs it ..so I cannot speak from first hand experience ..but, again, this is not the product I would expect to sell you for this application.

The ATF, otoh, works very well in everything that I've used it in ..including all of my customers that have bought it.

RP Synchromax is an EXCELLENT product as is their MaxATF.

Any of the 3 brands you mentioned would be a good choice as long as the fluid selected is the right stuff for your application. Use which ever one is cheaper and easier for you to get as all 3 will perform about the same.

Ignore the RP bashers and haters on this site. The vast majority have never even used one of their products.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:

That you don't even have the Amsoil recommended product on your list that included an Amsoil product that you're considering ..and seeking insight about in a poll.
55.gif

I haven't a clue about the other products in your list. The MTF has given favorable results to my customers that have used it. I don't have anything that currently needs it ..so I cannot speak from first hand experience ..but, again, this is not the product I would expect to sell you for this application.

The ATF, otoh, works very well in everything that I've used it in ..including all of my customers that have bought it.

To the OP, in other words, you're telling us that your tranny takes ATF fluid, but one of the choices you have listed is the Amsoil MTF. (Manual Tranny Fluid )

If you use the Amsoil site to look up what would be compatible for your application( which is what Gary has copied here for you ), Amsoil synthetic universal ATF is listed.

I agree with Gary. I swear by the Amsoil ATF. Nothing else ever goes in my Tranny's. If it is the recommended fluid for your app. you can't go wrong.

Quote:

55.gif

I have been thinking of going with Amsoil ATF around 30K on my new Corolla. Gary, have you heard of some good stories about its performance at higher miles? In other words, do you know any folks who have had a bazillion miles using it? I am on the fence about it, and just need a little nudging in the right direction. My transmission is an Aisin-Warner A245E, IIRC.

Jon

Last edited:

Gotcha. Amsoil ATF not MTF. I had listed MTF since I had read that other people had been using it in their Bimmer transmissions (like mva had posted).

That's another issue, I read about people using both types on manual transmissions that require auto fluid. That just makes my choice harder...

Lets see, so far its:
Amsoil (5 recommends)
Redline (2)
RP (1 - kind of)

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Where do you live?

Iowa. Why?

I have been using the Amsoil ATF starting at 118,000 miles. I now have 256,000 miles on the original transmission. Go with the ATF.

Quote:
That's another issue, I read about people using both types on manual transmissions that require auto fluid. That just makes my choice harder...

Yes. I can see that it does. I've been there. My Peugeot 504 wagon has motor oil spec'd in the owners manual. The dealer scoffed and just figured that gear oil was harder to come by in France. I couldn't tell the difference ..but then again ..25 years of engineers coming up with fancier alloys for whatever reason that they did hadn't occurred yet.
21.gif

I guess it would make sense to listen to those who have used the MTF if they reported improved shifting ..but that would require that you have problems now. If not, I see no real reason not to go with the recommended fluid (ATF)

Originally Posted By: DrtyE30

Lets see, so far its:
Amsoil (5 recommends)
Redline (2)
RP (1 - kind of)

Wasn't supposed to be a "kind of". I was simply saying RP makes an excellent tranny fluid( both the Synchromax and the MaxATF )as do the other 2 mfg's you mention. You can go with any of them and be well off.

I don't know much about BMW's so I don't know if RP offers the right fluid for your application. I am sure they do just needs to be narrowed down. If your manual tranny actually does call for Dex III as you think then the RP Synchromax would be an excellent choice. If you can't find that the regular MaxATF should work fine as well. If it calls for a gear oil RP's MaxGear is an excellent gear oil line and works very well in MT's.

Royal Purple products take a back seat to no other mfg despite some of the anti RP comments on this site.

"... despite some of the anti RP comments on this site."

I guess that would be me ... and a few others.
wink.gif

Still, if you are looking for an ATF-thin fluid, but one that is specially friction modified and fortified with proper barrier anti-wear additives, I don't think there's another game in town other than the RP Syncromax fluid.

MolaKule used to make a comparable fluid that I'd recommend hands-down over RP, but since he shut down, I don't think you'll find anything that will work better than synchromax.

So that's what I'd recommend for this ... or any other manual calling for an ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back