More 5W-20 Bologna

Status
Not open for further replies.
[(R/T/A)*C]/12*60/5280 = vehicle speed in mph
R = Engine RPM
T = transmission gear ratio
A = axle gear ratio
C = circumference of tire in inches (= diameter of tire times Pi)

The "(R/T/A)*C" gives you vehicle speed in inches per min.
Divide it by 12 to get feet/min
Multiply by 60 to get feet/hour
Divide by 5280 to get miles per hour

I was bored one day and decided to develop a formula.

Originally Posted By: jmac
Originally Posted By: ProfPS
Originally Posted By: FordManVT
This will happen but it is not accurate. Running larger tires (larger diameter will yield a larger circumference) will cause your RPMs and speedo to be higher resulting in actual lower mpg; not odo calculated mpg which will falsely calculate a higher MPG. This is because your engine RPM is running faster and your odo will be clocking more miles than actual.

Exactly wrong. Taller tires make the gear ratio effectively higher (lower numerically). That means at the same actual speed, RPM and speedo reading will be lower. Any increase in true MPG is because of the lower rpm. But taller tires will also weigh more, and have more drag. odometer miles will be less than actual miles. As long as you compare actual miles, your MPG will change very little. If you use odometer miles, your MPG will drop, as the odometer recorded less miles.

This is all because all speed systems count the revolutions of the tire, and bigger tire revolve less in a mile than a smaller tire.

Actually speed systems are a gear and cable connected to the transmission displaying revolutions of an internal component in the transmission, not a sensor at the wheel.

Depends on the vehicle. (Some) Ford vehicles use vehicle speed sensors located at the wheels or at the differential that track actual revolutions of the axle or wheel. I remember when all cars did have the gear and cable to the tranny, but do not know if most have gone away from this in newer cars but would expect that they would have mostly all moved to electronic speedos.
Cannot think of any tachs nowadays that aren't electronic taking inputs from a sensor or coming off a distributor coil.

I believe most older vehicles had the sensor on the output shaft of the transmission, which STILL would show a higher speed on the speedometer compared to actual speed with a larger diameter tire, regardless of gear ratios. The output shaft rpms are dependent on tire size and axle ratio and nothing else. That in turn, along with gear ratios in the trans, affects engine rpms. Take it to the extremes. Imagine driving a lowrider with the teeny tiny little tires. At 80 mph actual speed, The speedo probably shows 150 and the rpms are at 7,000 with the valves floating!

Or conversely, having 30 inch dubs on the same car. 80 mph actual would probably show 30 mph on the speedometer and the engine would be loping around. That's why monster trucks have to have 100 to 1 axle ratios or higher.

Last edited:
I'll let you guys ponder over this, and burn some pencil and paper time:

Given a '08 Corvette Z06: 3.42 Axle ratio, 6th gear ratio of 0.50, front tires 275/35ZR18 with a 25.6" diameter, rear tires 325/30-19 with a 26.7" diameter

What's the engine RPM's at 60 mph? What's the engine RPM's if someone puts the front tires on the rear?

The final combined gear ratio calculation is not what you think.

Is the trans ratio 0.50 turns of the engine to 1 turn of the driveshaft or is it the opposite? Is the axle ratio 3.42 turns of the driveshaft to one turn of the axle or is it the opposite?

RPM (in this case) = (mph x rear gear ratio x 336) / tire diameter x 0.50

What's the engine RPM's at 60 mph?
1291 RPM if the speedometer is dead on.

What's the engine RPM's if someone puts the front tires on the rear?
1346 RPM and the speedometer would indicate faster than actual speed unless recalibrated.

Originally Posted By: Saab9-3
Doesnt Dr. Hass use a 0w20 in his Enzo in Florida,, didnt know Florida got so cold...
What kind of driving does it take to get the oil hot in a Ferrari. My freind has a real nice 328 and it can cruise at 80 mph and the oil temp is 210*f not very hot ,you would have to do a track day on a long track to get the temps up I would guess.

I think Dr. Haas is onto something. If the 0W-20 oil was going to wreck is Ferrari would he be using it? He did a lot of testing to see what oil was best. Engines and oils have evolved, the problem is swaying people in my age group and older to believe it. I've learned a lot from this board, and I'm happy to report I am evolving!

Frank D

"This will happen but it is not accurate. Running larger tires (larger diameter will yield a larger circumference) will cause your RPMs and speedo to be higher resulting in actual lower mpg; not odo calculated mpg which will falsely calculate a higher MPG. This is because your engine RPM is running faster and your odo will be clocking more miles than actual. This is why calibrating your speedo when altering tire size is important."

I disagree. saw the exact opposite results on my vehicle.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If the 0W-20 oil was going to wreck is Ferrari would he be using it?

i'd like to see his UOAs and see how the engine is after 60K miles. hard to put that many miles on a ferrari anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back