why Internet crashes on a certain website?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The website is "blackboard", which is a site connected to my college where they post lecture handouts, grades etc..

It used to be fine, but since about a week or 2, I've been noticing that pretty much EVERY time i got to the website, log in and a few clicks, FF and/or internet connection gets cut off; I have to click on the wireless icon on the task bar, and click "repair" the connection ... sometimes twice to get the internet running again. FF 2.0 does NOT totally crash. FF stays up, but i get the "cannot connect; no connection", etc message...

So i'm not sure if it's FF or if it's the actual internet connection/modem as a whole that crashes... the wireless icon stays on "connected" status the whole time, but FF just can't connect. (to that site OR any other sites).

any idea on what I can do to remedy this?
the address is:
http://www.blackboard.campbell.edu

Thanks a lot!
FF2, XP pro; Lenovo ThinkPad R60

Quick check, does IE fire-up?

If not, check if it's the browser:

Start> Run> type "cmd" (no quotes) and enter.

type in (no spaces on the google link) and enter:

ping www . google . com

I use google as it's a fairly stable block to attempt communications with.

OK. gonna uninstall & reinstall Java update 7 again.
will report back after some "testing" with Blackboard.
Thanks a lot.

did it; problem still there.
I have uninstlled Java update 7 (latest version that I had), and going to see if blackboard runs fine on the previous version (update 5) that I had.
(I still had the update 5 on my laptop, as you saw when I went to uninstall update 7.)

If it appears to only happen on that site mostly it is probably some bad code on that webpage/site.

I note the button on their homepage which invites you to test your computer for plugins required on their site. Are you good to go for all of these?

yes.
what really bugs me is that this started without me making any changes...

on Java 6 update 5 now, and still happens
frown.gif

Here's another suspiciion I have :
it FEELS like, when I'm at school and using their wireless, I don't remember this problem popping up... is it only on my home network??
I'm leaning towards yes...

what could be the problem THEN?

FF is also on the list of their specified browsers, so i don't see why this problem should be "normal"....

any other things i can try to make this better ?

OK. Now i am 100% POSITIVE that this only happens when I'm on my home network (Embarq DSL modem, Linksys Router).
I am on the school wireless network now and it doesn't happen at all...
so this leads me to think that it doesn't have anything to do with Java, etc ....(?)

It seems to me that when this happens (at home), it's the modem and not the router??? (but then i don't know why it reconnects when I "repair" the wireless connection...that seems like it's the router isn't it?)

I am REALLY confused; Please let me know if you have any suggestions...
Thanks again.

Tried using the site in IE. same thing: a few clicks on the site; everything locks up (just like FF did), and have to "repair" the wireless connection.
So...it's not FF, and not the website itself (because it works fine on school wireless network)...

it MUST be something wrong with my DSL connection and/or wireless router that just doesn't like this website (blackboard) ...
...or vice versa !!!

This is a real PITA now..and seems to be getting worse.

When you have a chance, please try my suggestion. Will make quick work of you identifying which device is the culprit.

I will, Overkill. Thanks.
As soon as I finish an exam I have on Friday, I will try that.
Until then I don't need that website much, so I should be ok.

Before I take the router out of the loop, shall I just try resetting it? just for the heck of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back