Royal Purple XPR 0w-10 3005 02 Sentra SpecV 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cap'n, I sent you a PM on this.

I agree with the others ... I'd go at least 4,000 - 4,500 before doing a change. The motor's long since broken in and the vehicle is driven often ... dumping a $5+ per quart motor oil after just 3,000 miles is kinda wasteful.

I wouldn't worry about a ~2ppm 'spike' in copper. 1-2 ppm of ANYTHING should not be cause for alarm. The sampling method and these $20 tests are just not that precise.

Speaking of the copper, does anyone have any idea where it's coming from? with no accompanying lead, it doesn't appear to be bearings ... or is the material in this motor different? And with no accompanying tin (not even a trace in any sample to date) it doesn't appear to be brass or bronze. Very odd.

Why if it calls for 5-30 would you want to run an 0-10? That is an awfully thin oil for hot weather. Maybe if I lived in the Artic Circle year round........

So what was the experiment and what did you learn?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman

The experiment was to run 0w10 and the results are that his engine didnt blow up or even wear excessively
21.gif

Unfortunately, the good Cap'n isn't obsessive-compulsive about tracking his mileage ... or he might be able to claim some improvement using the super-thin stuff.

I originally felt the best mileage I ever got with my SpecV was just over 33mpg (1 tankful) while using a mix of Schaeffer 10W-30 and 15W-40. But I re-ran the numbers and found the average for that summer was 27.10mpg ... below the lifetime average of 28.4mpg.

The summer before that I used Schaeffer 5W-30 and got 31.2 (average for the whole summer). My commute was longer in 2004 ... but usually in very heavy traffic.

Hmmm ...

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Unfortunately, the good Cap'n isn't obsessive-compulsive about tracking his mileage ...

Unfortunately, I'm am:

July 07

July 08

I wouldn't worry about the "high" Cu. In some cases Cu is in the wear additives. I agree that another 3-4000 miles would be fine, but it is not my car. If the Cu is an oil additive you will see the level remain the same or possibly drop on your next analysis. You might even consider doing the second analysis at 6 or 7k and if the results still look good, take it out to 9 or 10k. Good luck.

dcoyne78, thanks for your comment.

The VOA for this oil doesn't show any copper. Nor any potassium or sodium for that matter. I did drain and refill the radiator before taking the sample although I don't see why that would increase the sodium and potassium.

At any rate, I'm going to leave it in until 5k and retest.

Thanks, Mark

RoyalPurpleVOA.jpg

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Why if it calls for 5-30 would you want to run an 0-10? That is an awfully thin oil for hot weather. Maybe if I lived in the Artic Circle year round........

+1
I Would stick to the recommended 5 w 30 myself.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
Nice sample! No bushings in that motor that I am aware of, but it is past 1am here :)

Wrist-pin bushing, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back