Re-manufactured starters any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StormRider
I bought a Duralast Gold New Starter from AZ for my 92 Taurus when the original took a dump about 2 years ago and its doing just fine. I also like their Gold batteries as well.

1st Post!!!

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Originally Posted By: H2GURU
... You never know where that reman. has been.

I suspect it has been to China and back.

It is more likely remanned here in the US. I think there is a facility as close as Tenn.

Beck Arnley outsources the re-manufacturing process of their starters to a company that has a "state of the art" facility in Mexico.

The remanufactured starters you get at AZ, Napa, and Advance are hit and miss. I bought one for my old Maxima, and it didn't work. I took it back and got another, same thing. Took it back and told them that if this one didn't work I wanted my money back, but it worked great and lasted 12 years. It just took three times to get one that worked.

Going by that ratio you have a 1 in 3 chance of finding one that isn't garbage.

On the other hand, never never ever for any reason whatsoever consider buying a remanufactured water-pump or carbeurator from a parts store. Ever. Never.

Originally Posted By: kingrob
The remanufactured starters you get at AZ, Napa, and Advance are hit and miss. I bought one for my old Maxima, and it didn't work. I took it back and got another, same thing. Took it back and told them that if this one didn't work I wanted my money back, but it worked great and lasted 12 years. It just took three times to get one that worked.

I wouldn't put NAPA in the same category as AZ and Advance.

Reputable repair shops get parts from NAPA.... and not from places like AZ and Advance.

My starter from Autozone has been going strong for 3yrs now :) Seems everyone else who picks this starter up (it's the LT1 spec'd vette starter, that's an upgrade for 94-96 B-body LT1s) has great luck with it. I've had reman water pumps last longer than brand new ones. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back