Nippon oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently saw Nippon oil filter going for $3 a pop at RockAuto. How good are these? Are the OEM oil filters in many Japanese cars re-badged Nippon?

Toyota OEM are Denso. Honda's can be Toyo Roki(becoming increasingly rare) or FRAM but made to Honda specs. Not sure about Nissan.

I use Nippon and denso filters on our 94 toyota previa and 94 mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4. Also used to use them on our 94 integra.

The nippon filter is more of a bargain look in terms of its box and packaging. The Denso "first time fit" filters look nicer in the box. Both come with the open end sealed, and some sort of grease on the filter gasket. I think that is a nice touch... Never had issues with either brand, doing 10-13k mile OCIs at times. Id use nippon filters with confidence.

JMH

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Toyota OEM are Denso. Honda's can be Toyo Roki(becoming increasingly rare) or FRAM but made to Honda specs. Not sure about Nissan.

I think the only way you can get a Toyo Roki is to ask for an S2000 filter. Which will fit Accords and probably other Honda models also. Same prics as the other oem(fram)filter too.

Oil filter part number for Honda S2000 is 15400-PCX-004. It's used to be made by Toyo-Roki in Japan but newer ones may be made by Filtech in America.

Toyo Roki and Tokyo Roki are two different companies? I see a lot about Toyo Roki here, but the filter I pulled off of my moms car said Toyko Roki.

Yes, Tokyo Roki and Toyo Roki are different companies. Toyo Roki has a division in the U.S. called Filtech as well, and they used to make the Honda A01 oil filters for Honda OEM applications and were replaced by the Honeywell/Fram A02. Sometimes you can still luck out and get A01's (I bought 5 last time)

I have a Nippon on my Honda right now. Seems to be a very well made great filter. I believe it has a slicon ADBV. I have no start-up noise. I think they're excellent fiters, especially for the price. I don't plan on switching to a different brand anytime soon.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
I recently saw Nippon oil filter going for $3 a pop at RockAuto. How good are these? Are the OEM oil filters in many Japanese cars re-badged Nippon?

The Nippon filters in the secondary market are generally Malaysian made filters that are made under Japanese supervision on Japanese equipment:

http://www.unionsangyo.com/

They appear to be extremely well made and share design features with some of the better brands.

^Yes indeed. I'm using purely Union Sangyo filters for 3 years now.

DSC01458.jpg

DSC01461.jpg

Originally Posted By: Loopie
Yes indeed. I'm using purely Union Sangyo filters for 3 years now.

That's them.

Nicely made.

Where do you find them under the Union Sangyo name?

I've used Nippon oil filters for 25 years on Acuras, Hondas and Infinitis with zero issues. They run $4.20 at a local indie parts store. The early ones were made in Japan. For several years, they have been made in Malaysia, but it's still a Japanese company. I prefer these to Chinese made filters. Genuine OEM quality.

BTW Nippon and Union Sangyo are different companies, both manufacture in Malaysia.

With almost fifty years experience with Toyotas and then Hondas, I don't think you can go wrong with anything with Nippon on the label. Same with Denso. Very good, quality products.

I once cut open a new NIPPON / NAPA / ULTRA 8 Oil Filter.

I bought it at Napa... but it says NIPPON on it however the box says Ultra 8

I was very impressed by it.

Here are the pics

If you look at at the can you can see NIPPON upside down

5dl5pd.jpg

12175hd.jpg

This filter was very hard to cut open and I was very impressed

xd87l2.jpg

Id have no problem using a NIPPON oil filter in any car.

Look how nice the filter looks.. It was also a very good price $3.99

what you think now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back