Please recommend a high quality 16GB SDHC card

Status
Not open for further replies.
The N800 is a wifi internet tablet. It does have a camera, which is really suited only for video calls or very artsy stuff.

Memory intensive are feature length movies and mapping.

n800.jpg

Originally Posted By: moribundman
It looks like comparing the speed of SD and SDHC cards may be difficult. In the case of SD cards, the speed is maximum speed, in the case of SDHC cards it is a minimum sustained data transfer speed.

Nope, all advertised speed are maximum speed, and all "speed class" rating are the minimum speed guaranteed. Like the HP curve of your car, the dealer advertise the maximum but you may be using the minimum at any given time.

The only difference between SD and SDHC is the addressing mode. SD uses byte addressing and maxed out at 4GB, SDHC uses sector addressing and maxed out at a much higher number (higher than what you will reasonably use any time soon). Other than that SDHC obsoleted some unrealistic spec like write protect of certain regions of the card, etc.

Components between the 2 are identical: same controller, same memory. You will find both good and bad cards in both categories.

I agree with the quality control of our MP3 players. I personally returned a few myself, but the cards are much better build and developed. Still, if you don't like it, there are other good cards out there.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
the cards are much better build and developed. Still, if you don't like it, there are other good cards out there.

As I have already stated, my dislike is solely in regard to SanDisk's atrocious customer service. They are not getting any of my money.

I have never heard of problems with any memory cards. They seem to be very reliable in general. Went to a John Shaw digital seminar and he recommended Lexar and ScanDisk. Member of the audience said he'd had his cards work after going through the washer, falling into water, etc. Only problem I've heard is if you get something into the card slots....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: John K
I have never heard of problems with any memory cards.

The chance of a memory card failing is directly proportional to the importance of the stored data.

The electronics on the cards are usually sealed up pretty well in a plastic package then soldered on the thin PCB. The Mini and Micro SD are even better that it is sealed with no cover and air within the package, so it is completely water proof.

Most cards die because of poor raw material (low quality memory used), inferior wear leveling algorithm that kills a critical area of the card, or power interruption during write.

Frequently the failure of the cards are also caused by bad firmware on the camera or host (card reader). So if you found a card brand/model/size that works well with your camera, stick with it. Name brand cards (or those OEM from a large manufacture like Samsung or Toshiba) usually have more compatibility testing done than the lower end generic cards.

Most Speed Class 4 and above SDHC are rebrand Toshiba cards, I've looked at the model number at the back of a Crucial and Viking, and both googled to be Toshiba (good stuff).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back