Slime for old ATV tires (2-piece rim)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your thoughts on slime? I have an old 1982 Honda three wheeler I am fixing up (exsisting thread) and it has a two piece rim that is a little rough. I blasted the mating surface but the problem is the pitting from rust. The old o-ring is cacked with rust. Right now I am cleaning up the o-ring and plan on running a thick bead of gasket maker on each side, setting old ring on and putting back together. At the same time I am wondering if slime would not seal the mating surface from outside the mating surface, while at the same time helping to stop any further rust problems. Any thoughts?

Found some reviews of Cabela's Leak Lava for ATV's(looks like red slime). That stuff gets great reviews. Maybe I will give it a whirl in the front tire and see how my air holds in comparisson to the back two. Still looking for personal experience if it is out there. Thanks.

Yeah, the permaseal gasket maker is an RTV sealant so in fact I will be doing that at the gasket interface. I am pretty sure that will take care of the sealing, and I am probably worrying about nothing. The more I search online the more I see serious ATV riders that love this stuff. My use will be puttering back in the woods and putting some chains on and pulling an ice shanty, so I would not consider myself serious. Still, maybe good insurance since my two rear tires are older as well???

That's the way I'd do it. silicone and forget about it.

It's funny how the brain interprets things, when you said gasket maker I immediately thought of gasgacinch, hence my recommendation for RTV.

i wouldnt use silicone. That rust is like cancer and will eventually re-appear, lift the silicone, and leak. I use "bead sealer" for stuff like that.Not sure where u get it, as i've always had a huge bucket of it. (tire shop i guess). I'ts like a very thick goopy/sticky grease.If u get some, you might as well smear some on the wheel bead also just because it is apart already.Some atv tires just wont keep a good seal at the beads and slime usually fixes it,but if not, bead sealer does.Only problem is breaking the tire down, but you're past that stage already. Slime is great too and cheap insurance.I've used it and "shur seal(similar )" for years in all my atv tires, which are always prone to leaking.After a year or so if i notice im having to add air frequently, i squirt some more in through the valve stem and the leaks go away again.Dont use it on atvs that do over 50 mph though, or u will have balancing/vibration issues.Your 1982 Honda should be safe in that regard, lol

I would coat the rim with a good rust preventive paint and just put a tube in the tire....Easiest and least expensive way to guarantee no leaks!:)

So I ran a bead of silicone gasket maker on the machined spot for the o-ring, placed the o-ring on, then put a bead on the other side, put the rim together and bolted it tight. Looks like it did the job no problem. I have decided after more reading, that I will be sliming the older rear tires for insurance purposes. I will update with results a month or so from now and compare air holding ability. Thanks for all the help.

Originally Posted By: Krel
I would coat the rim with a good rust preventive paint and just put a tube in the tire....Easiest and least expensive way to guarantee no leaks!:)
Tubes are a major pain in an atv wheel. If you get a flat you must break the whole tire and rims down to patch the tube.

If your running tubeless you stick a rope plug in the hole and continue on.

The other problem with tubes was the cost. They were almost as much as a new tubeless tire. In addition that tire was terrible, it needed a new one regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back