correct cable routing and length

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back I got a new riser stem and handlebar for my mountain bike because I wanted to change from 31.8 to 25.4. After I changed the bar and stem, I forgot which side the cable routing should go for the front derailer. I'm referring to cable housing that connects from the shifter to the frame. I'm not sure if it should go to the left or right side of the frame. The bike has the 3 cables that run parallel on top of the frame and the front shifter uses the middle of the 3.

I'll try and take a pic and post it up later its hard to describe in words. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my bike the cable stays on the left side of the frame, is the middle cable under the top tube, then goes down the left side of the seat tube before crossing behind it to go to the derailleur.

Here are pics of the cable routing on the bike.

Front of the bike.
mte07a.jpg

Current configuration has the cable to the left of the frame.
mte07c.jpg

Final bend to the front derailer.
mte07b.jpg

It actually loops around the stem and goes on the right. The rear derailleur goes in the middle to avoid crossing the cables.

That makes perfect sense.

I put away with deraileurs and chain rings a long time ago. I keep forgetting about all that junk...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
That makes perfect sense.

I put away with deraileurs and chain rings a long time ago. I keep forgetting about all that junk...
grin2.gif

What setup do you have?

I ride a shaft drive bike with internally geared hub these days. It's fairly heavy and slow (= enhanced workout!) slow and requires very little maintenance. Rust, wear and tear, and corrosion due to sand and humid, salty air is a problem where I live. I have renounced the chain!

I ride a shaft drive bike with internally geared hub these days. It's fairly heavy and slow (= enhanced workout!) slow and requires very little maintenance. Rust, wear and tear, and corrosion due to sand and humid, salty air is a problem where I live. I have renounced the chain!

Pictures please?

Again? For the fourth of fifth time?

I've never seen the pictures of the bike.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I thought the cables looked like they were routed great.

yeah im gonna second this one...
straight-up, the two things that matter about cables:

1) the cables arent grinding and shift smoothly
2) you're happy

nobody else will notice. perfect example, on my 4hun, im using a rear (~1300mm) hydraulic hose on the front brake (which is usually 800mm?) i have it zip-tied to the rear brake cable. looks horrible but i dont care, so it doesnt matter. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back