Total Quartz 9000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for those that use Total Quartz 9000. I stopped by the foreign auto parts store near my house. They had Total Quartz 9000 0-30. Is this a group 3 or group 4 synthetic. This is the first time. They had this product on the shelf for $7.20 a litre.

Confusingly enough, there's two very similar sounding oils.

There's "Total QUARTZ 9000 0W30" which they described as a "...Synthetic technology oil..." and is probably a group III.

There's also a "Total QUARTZ ENERGY 9000 0W30" which describe as a "...100% synthetic lubricant..." This is the old Elf Excellium Full Tech and I believe it is a group IV (or at least mainly that)

total is the new elf oil name. I thought that elf oils were group 4 so I figure total would be a group 4. I could be very wrong , bister would know better than I would

The different names are vehicle manufacturer specific.

1) Total Quartz 9000 0W/30 is a VW approved oil.
2) Total Quartz Energy 9000 0W/30 is approved by most other makes.
3) Total Quartz Future 9000 0W/30 is a Peugeot/Citroen approved oil.

All are listed as being 100% synthetic. The blends with 7000 in their name are semi-synthetic. Not to mention the low SAPS products with INEO (sp?) in their name

I use the Total Quartz Energy 9000 0W/30 in my wife's Saab 9-3SC and the Quartz 9000 5W/40 in my Saab 9-5. The 5W/40 used to be labeled Quartz Energy also (I have empty bottles in my trash from today's oil change to prove it) but no longer is on the Total website!

These names are getting FAR too confusing! I shouldn't have to visit a manufacturer's website every 2-1/2 months when I need to buy oil just to learn the current name for the blend I desire.

Last edited:
Yup , they are all group 4..... I use nothing else

Currently use the 5w40 Quartz 9000 in my Fiesta TDCi.

Probably the most underated oils around.... if not the best for Euro spec cars.

Originally Posted By: Fuzz1
Yup , they are all group 4..... I use nothing else

Currently use the 5w40 Quartz 9000 in my Fiesta TDCi.

Probably the most underated oils around.... if not the best for Euro spec cars.

Wrong. Depending on the oil, they are either Group III or Group IV.

For the Quartz 9000 series:
0w30 = Group III (severely refined mineral-based products)
0w40 = Group IV (Polyalfaolefin, PAO)
5w30 = Group III
5w40 = Group III
5w40 NF = Group III/IV
Energy 0w30 = Group IV
Future 5w30 = Group III

im really confused, I can't find this QUARTZ 9000 5W40 NF you speak of UG PASSAT, other than the link a few posts back, anywhere on the net! I can find QUARTZ 9000 5W40 , but not the "NF"....

Last edited:
My friends, after hours of extensive research, I have come to realize Elf/Total has deceived us. I wrote a page long explanation twice but my browser crashed both times so I do not feel like writing it again right now. But I will soon....this is very interesting....

PS if you never hear from me again, secret Elf/Total agents have kinapped me! Report to the appropriate authorities.

Skewy, you could be more wrong...
wink.gif
:/
And there's a lot of heritage to French politics and to old Iraqi wells... Buwahhaaaa!

Last edited:
elf still exists as a brand. They use it NA as a racing fuel, plus have it on the Formula 1 Renaults that Fernando Alonso drives.

I was in France in June and they had elf oil at Autobacs with a lot of shelf space.

Is there something special about Total/elf oil? Mobil 1, Shell Helix, Castrol RS, etc. were all on the same shelf as Total & elf. they were all very expensive relative to the US prices for the same formulae. Taxes I assume.

What makes it better than what is sold in the USA: PP, M1, German Castrol, etc.? UOAs.

Just curious, being a big racing fan since a little kid and seeing the elf Tyrrell F1 cars here at Watkins Glen.

I use it because Total's 0W/30 weight is one of only a few oils available in the US that meet the GM/Saab/Opel LL-A-025 oil spec for my wife's Saab 9-3. In addition, in my area it is nearly $1/qt less costly than Mobil-1 0W/40 (the most commonly available oil meeting this spec). And the litre size packaging (1-litre bottles and 5-litre jugs) makes it easy to add the required 6 litres of oil to her engine. I would be inclined to use Penzoil Platinum, but no one locally carries it in the weights I require.

Likewise, I can buy Total 5W/40 for slightly less than Mobil-1 5W/40. Although the price difference has nearly disappeared at this weight.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. This is my first message on this great forum. In my BMW E36 318is 190k km I use ELF EXCELIUM NF 5W40. So after all is this oil full synthetic or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back