Best Amsoil Grease for Rear Wheel Bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to place an order for some oil and filters from Amsoil
Which grease should I purchase.

I need to repack the rear wheel bearings on my 89 Dodge Shadow.
I will clean out the bearings and hand repack them.

I have some of the series 2000 racing grease but is there a beeter choice for this application for a wheel bearing. Note the car rear disc and has inner and outer bearings on each rear wheel.

Thanks for any advice.

I used to use the Amsoil GHD and GLC which are very good greases for the money. I think the GLC is comparable to Mobile 1 grease. I now use Series 2000 because of High Temperature Life (ASTM D-3527) hours 300. Amsoil GHD 118 hrs and GLC 160 hrs.

For a few more bucks it lasts at least 2x longer in that test. I also figure if I pack bearings how often do I need to do it? I maybe use half a tube on a car so the cost is even less.

Is the series 2000 grease good for King Pins, Ball joints and other front end parts?

Thanks,
Frank D

Pablo should throw you a link to the actual data sheet. It's some tough stuff and holds ball joints in check very well. I actually injected it into a badly leaking CV boot on my buddies Grand Prix GTP with a grease needle and used some extreme tape to patch the boot (It was a ghetto repair and I figured he would limp around for about another 500 miles before the nasties took hold and we would have to swap it out). It lasted 15,000 more miles without deterioration before the car was totaled by storm damage! As far as King Pin's go I've used the blue cap Heavy Duty Synthetic Grease on those because it was cheaper and had a ton of extreme pressure agents in it.

I think the GHD would be a little better with the moly for ball joints etc. The series 2000 would be my second choice for the suspension.
I am using the Series 2000 for ball joints etc because I want to keep down to one grease.

Series 2000 would be my first choice for wheel bearings for light duty applications.

JMO

I've been using the Mobil 1 grease for years w/o issue but it always runs and drips from back end of the grease gun.

I have a cup tool I put the wheel bearings in, and pump grease from the grease gun into the bearings, it forces the old grease out and packs the new grease in nicely. I thought about using the Amsoil grease for this application instead of the Mobil 1 grease. While I was at it I'd grease the king pins and the drag link with it on the E-150.

Thanks,
Frank D

Here is an email I received from Byron at Amsoil awhile back concerning using the Series 2000 as a chassis grease.

Johnny;

The Racing Grease can be used on the Chassis of the Jeep, but if subjected to water, the Heavy Duty Grease is the better choice. The Mobilgrease SHC220 is similar but uses a heavier base oil. Ours are ISO150, theirs is one grade heavier, ISO220.

Thank you for this opportunity to respond to your question(s). As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Byron Selbrede
Technical Services

Hence I said GHD 1st choice. In trucks I would normally use the GHD but I don't sweat it because I don't go off road and such.

I notice that the 3 main Amsoil greases all have a different consistancy.
GLC is smooth and creamy as is GHD, but GHD has a pasty feeling from the moly. The 2000 grease has a creamy texture but it is kinda grainy in a way. JMO

Did the Shadow come with rear disc?

I concur with the use of GHD - I am using it for the eight zerk fittings on the drive shaft of my 2006 Tundra 4WD. I chose the GHD mainly because of the moly, and its specs are closer to what Toyota specified. Toyota actually specifies grease with moly for one of the joints on the drive shaft. I also agree for wheel bearings, I would lean towards the Series 2000 racing grease as it stands up to high temperatures better.

No new info here, just another data point....

Where does the GWR water resistant fall into this conversation on wheel bearing use.(snowmobile trailer wheels) It seems to work good in my toys. ATV's and snowmobile.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Hence I said GHD 1st choice. In trucks I would normally use the GHD but I don't sweat it because I don't go off road and such.

I notice that the 3 main Amsoil greases all have a different consistancy.
GLC is smooth and creamy as is GHD, but GHD has a pasty feeling from the moly. The 2000 grease has a creamy texture but it is kinda grainy in a way. JMO

Did the Shadow come with rear disc?

No it came with Drum brakes, but thanks to Chrysler parts bin engineering, I grabbed the set up off a newer Shadow with a competition package. Now I have 11.25 disc brakes all around :) I used Mobil grease when I installed the set up a few years back, now has 60K mile on the bearings. They looked good and I repacked them with the Series 2000 grease. Got to use my new grease repacker device, worked [censored] nice, just pump in the fresh grease, no hand packing needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back