Cheap laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to buy a new laptop in the under $500 range. It would be only used for email and internet (I have a desktop for power use). Given the choice of Toshiba or Compaq, which would you choose?

I have a 12 year old Toshiba laptop that has spent the past few years rattling around in my car's trunk. The Toshiba is still working. Make of this what you will.

Right now, I'm using a Compaq Presario C700 that came from Best Buy in July. I paid $399, plus another $35 to upgrade to 2GB of Crucial memory.

That's a pretty cheap laptop.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I'm a dell person (I have 4 in my family) but here is a Acer for $499 from Newegg.

Not too bad...

New egg Acer $499 laptop

Then you need to enter promo code (EMCBABGAC) for $100 off. Price good out or 22nd.

Here is the Acer web site -> Acer web site for business laptops

Bill

Currently using an ACER Extensa 4420 for 399 bucks from Best Buy and loving it. I don't spend over 400 bucks for a laptop. The wife's Compaq Presario was another 399 dollar laptop we bought two years ago and it is also running strong. My days of 1200+ laptops are over.

Some of the guys at work swear by Toshiba. Don't know if it is true or not, but one guy swears they are more "shockproof" than others, meaning you can drop it, rattle it, etc. and it will keep running.

Last edited:
+1 for the $399 Acer from Best Buy, looked pretty decent at the store....was thinking about getting it for my wife. I bought my Gateway laptop there about 2 years ago, was about $500 with Vista Home Premium on it....now this Acer has twice the memory and larger HD
frown.gif

Without knowing the specs.

I would do the Compaq, you can then take it to any CC or BB for hard-ware warranty repairs for free if needed.

Doesnt get much easier.

I have a Toshiba that's a couple of years old. It's been good.

Do you type without looking at the keys? I noticed that most laptops have changed the keyboard layout. They have moved the Enter key over one space and made it vertically longer instead, and many have changed the size and position of the Right Shift key as well. There was one like that at one of my job sites and, even after a month, I never got used to it. Since I don't want to have to relearn my typing after doing it on a standard keyboard for the last 20 years, I'd go with Dell. They seem to be the only ones offering the standard keyboard on their laptops.

It's also hard to find a glare-free screen these days. If you come across a laptop with both a glare-free screen and a standard keyboard, let me know!

All the business Dells come with a EXCELLENT non glare screen standard.

The 17" Dells have as close to but not quite a standard keyboard.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: rpn453
I have a Toshiba that's a couple of years old. It's been good.

Do you type without looking at the keys? I noticed that most laptops have changed the keyboard layout. They have moved the Enter key over one space and made it vertically longer instead, and many have changed the size and position of the Right Shift key as well. There was one like that at one of my job sites and, even after a month, I never got used to it. Since I don't want to have to relearn my typing after doing it on a standard keyboard for the last 20 years, I'd go with Dell. They seem to be the only ones offering the standard keyboard on their laptops.

It's also hard to find a glare-free screen these days. If you come across a laptop with both a glare-free screen and a standard keyboard, let me know!

The glare from my "Tru Brite" or whatever screen it is on this, gets pretty annoying when there is a light behind or above you. My next one will hopefully be a non coated standard screen. Otherwise, I am happy with both of my cheapo laptops.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
+1 for the $399 Acer from Best Buy, looked pretty decent at the store....was thinking about getting it for my wife. I bought my Gateway laptop there about 2 years ago, was about $500 with Vista Home Premium on it....now this Acer has twice the memory and larger HD
frown.gif

I was actually surprised when I discovered it came with 2GB of RAM and a 160GB HD. They are packing more and more in sub-500 dollar laptops nowadays.

I almost went with one of those little notebooks that has a solid state HD, etc.

Take care, bill

Thanks. I never checked the "For Office" section of the site. I'm surprised they don't even offer those screens in the "For Home" section.

Originally Posted By: rpn453

Take care, bill

Thanks. I never checked the "For Office" section of the site. I'm surprised they don't even offer those screens in the "For Home" section.

The consumer ones have higher contrast for photos and such. There are a few models that you can get the matte non-glare screens but most of them have the "glossy" ones.

I have the Tru-brite on my 14.1 inch dell and its ok. It does have glare but if you turn up the screen you can read it.

Inside the screen is amazing esp with photos and DVDs.

Take care, bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back