harley formula plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
After changing the trans. oil in my 2004 flh with 5,000 miles with formula plus in the gear box.I noticed a fair amount of brass shavings in the drain pan.Formula plus will not go in there again.For now on it will be any brand of 85w90 gl-5 gear lube.

Any idea where brass might be coming from? I use Amsoil SVG 75W110 been very happy with it. Clunk not as loud and shifts nicely.

Originally Posted By: hd2002
Any idea where brass might be coming from? I use Amsoil SVG 75W110 been very happy with it. Clunk not as loud and shifts nicely.

That is a good choice for a HD trans IMO.
thumbsup2.gif
The RL shockproof heavy is also excellent.

Is this 5,000 miles on the bike or on the oil change? Makes a difference since you'll get some shavings when new.

Originally Posted By: harley145000
gmboy it was 5,000 on the oil in the trans.bike has 30,000 on the clock

Wow! Should be fully broken in by then! Another harley oil not worth the price. I was using Mobil 1, then went back to the formula plus. Now I will rethink that and try the Redline I have been wanting to try, I use it in the Engine with great results.

Gmboy,a friend of mine just put some golden spectro for 6 speeds in h.d. 04 road king.I think it was 16.00 a quart,he says it shifts very well with this stuff.I thought to myself it better for that price.But I have heard people really like in the new 6 speeds,cuts down on the 5th gear whine.

My experience has been a little different - in regard to shifting. For me, it makes virtually no difference what's in the transmission, but sure makes a difference what's in the primary. (Sportsters excluded from this conversation) :)

I have two of the "new six-speeds" One whines and the other doesn't. The "quiet" one is running good old Wal-Mart Supertech or Rotella conventional GL-5 gear oil in the 90wt flavor. The other just whines, no matter what I've tried.

Both get Rotella 15w-40 in the primary.

Here's a VOA for Formula+
Formula+ VOA on BITOG

kballowe,I have rotella 90w in the trans now and gtx 20-50 in the primary.Seems clutch lever is eaiser to pull,maybe my imagination.

Originally Posted By: harley145000
kballowe,I have rotella 90w in the trans now and gtx 20-50 in the primary.Seems clutch lever is eaiser to pull,maybe my imagination.

There are many that run that exact setup. I know of two (right now) that run either the GTX 20w50 or the Havoline 20W50 in all three sumps. They're changing the crankcase at 2,500-3,000 and the primary/transmission at 5,000.

I use the Rotella in the primary because I have some..... but a 20w-50 anything would work just as well. The Rotella 5w-40 works nice in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back