Chain Lube: Dry vs. Wet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to use motor oil, but I wore out my old chain rather quickly so I've decided to buy some real chain lube this time.

After doing some research, I've come to the conclusion that dry lubes and wet lubes are two of the most popular types on the market.

I've always liked the smooth feel of a wet lube, but it attracted a ton of dust and dirt. I'm not sure what's the factory lube on my new chain, but I've put around 25 miles on it and the chain feels absolutely awful. It has a waxy coating of some kind, is this what dry lube is?

So, what do you folks prefer? Dry or Wet? Are wet lubes going to be smoother?

Thanks.

Judging by an earlier thread on this subject you will find lots of different opinions here.

I like to use Castrol Chain lube. Which comes in a spray can, goes on wet but dries to a black coating after a few days. Bike shifts much quieter.

Mike

I use a lube called White Lightning. It's almost like a wax. It goes on wet, dries and is designed to fall off as you ride so nothing sticks to it. You have to reapply it every once in a while.

I use RocknRoll. Cleans and lubes all in one. The lube that was on my bike new was waxy and greasy. Simple Green couldn't even take it all off. A few squirts of RocknRoll Gold and my chain was nice and shiny.

Same here Rock N Roll chain lube Gold bottle. I ride both street and off road with my bike. It seems to keep the chain cleaner for longer.

I've been using White Lightning Elite, which isn't the same as their wax product. So far, so good, though it is very thin and will squirt everywhere if you're not careful.
I used to us the wax, and I used to use Tri-Flow. All seem to work well.
Seems like I read a study that showed that an unlubed chain worked just as well and lasted just as long as a lubed one--as long as no dirt was there. Lube seems to be mostly for keeping dirt in suspension and out of the works of the chain.

(Captain Obvious strikes again)

That reminds me, years ago I had a stainless steel chain on my first MTB. I used a chain oil, don't remember what it was and didn't give a flip then anyway. I never wore out chains, but I destroyed chain rings by the dozen (or so it seems in retrospect).

MarkC, regarding brake lube, you DO have a keen grasp of the obvious (complement intended). However, be careful not to offend:

Quote:
it is very thin and will squirt everywhere if you're not careful.

.......As I get older, my wife complains about this condition more and more.

I use Prolink on my "Rivendellized" road bike. The wax types seemed to build up more Pennzoil-like deposits than I care for.

http://www.progoldmfr.com/products/prolink.html

Also, Critic, shame on you for not following the Bendix 30/30/30 technique in bedding your Kool Stops

Originally Posted By: MarkC
I've been using White Lightning Elite, which isn't the same as their wax product. So far, so good, though it is very thin and will squirt everywhere if you're not careful.
I used to us the wax, and I used to use Tri-Flow. All seem to work well.
Seems like I read a study that showed that an unlubed chain worked just as well and lasted just as long as a lubed one--as long as no dirt was there. Lube seems to be mostly for keeping dirt in suspension and out of the works of the chain.

(Captain Obvious strikes again)

I read that same article. They viewed the chain with an infra red camera with and without oil. The temp was the same with and without lube. While that's all well and good, I must say that a lubed chain feels way better than a dry chain and it certainly shifts better.

I actually have access to an infra red camera. Out of curiosity, I'd like to try that same experiment. I just need a set of rollers.

Anyone have a link (so to speak) to the article? Did they measure chain roller and plate wear, etc?

I would think a bike chain heat signature would be quite subtle. (pure speculation)

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Anyone have a link (so to speak) to the article? Did they measure chain roller and plate wear, etc?

I would think a bike chain heat signature would be quite subtle. (pure speculation)

My thoughts exactly. I can use sandpaper without generating noticeable heat but I am still abrading the surface.

Thanks guys. I ordered 3 bottles of the Finish Line Dry Lube to try out. I'll keep everyone posted on how well it works.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Also, Critic, shame on you for not following the Bendix 30/30/30 technique in bedding your Kool Stops

I did about 15-20 near stops (on a downhill path) from 20 mph to bed-in the Kool Stop. They howled like a bus initially, but towards the end of the bed-in, they were silent.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Get one that drys.... with moly. Moly is negatively charges as is dirt.

I've been using Penetrol and think it's great!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I did about 15-20 near stops (on a downhill path) from 20 mph to bed-in the Kool Stop. They howled like a bus initially, but towards the end of the bed-in, they were silent.

All torture victims go silent eventually.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: The Critic

All torture victims go silent eventually.

LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back