2.2L chevy cobalt ecotec filter cartridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed the oil in my son's 2006 cobalt with a 2.2L ecotec
I-4 engine. Wanted to pass on to others that you need a 11/4 inch socket with an extension to get the cartridge filter cover off. Used a fram cartridge since that's all walmart had. Would have preferred another brand but... oh well. Anybody have any experience with cartridge filters? This was the first time I have ever used one. Actually it was mess free and very easy.

Yeah, the ecotec filter is easy and mess free. You sure about walmart? They should have a Supertech ST9018, which I would grab over a Fram just because the Supertech includes a new o-ring for the cap, and the Fram does not.

My brother has a 2008 cobalt with the 2.2L ecotec, we changed his oil a few weeks back. All of my 1.25 inch sockets were too tall so I made my own tool, after that everything was easy and mess free. I still have the factory filter in my garage, we replaced the filter with a Purolator PureOne, as I recall it was .07 cents more than the fram at Advance, really a no brainer there.

Yes I agree about the supertech, Walmart was completely out of them and just had the fram. I had already gone out to get the 1-1/4 inch socket that i needed so was too lazy to stop again. Next time I'll definately plan ahead and get something else. Thanks

I love the provided torque spec even though the intake duct work prevents a straight shot down to the plastic can. I helped my buddy with one of these a few weeks ago and I just used a huge crescent wrench. It worked and didn't mar up the plastic. I do enjoy the fact that there isn't much of a mess to clean up with this style and you can get a quick check of the filter element.

The chevy dealer torqued it down so tight i couldn't budge the filter top with a crescent wrench. I had to use a socket or destroy the plastic coated nut on top. Also they way over-torqued the drain plug. This is exactly the reason I like to do the oil myself. I know everything is done correctly, and the oil I want is used. I assume that the dealers have a one size fits all for their oil, and for GM it seems to be 10w30. Not that it will harm the engine, but the car calls for 5w30 so thats what I use!

Yeah, I dont know why people think they have to be torqued down hard. The o-ring is what seals the housing. As long as its bottomed out and the o-ring is in good condition it wont leak.

I just bought a Supertech today. Came with the o-ring as Onmo just stated. Based on my experience only the K&N, Baldwin, and now the Supertech have come with a new o-ring. Because the Supertechs are so easy to get I will probably be using them more in the future. I sure wish the PureOnes came with an o-ring.

I use Napa Golds on my Girlfriends 2.2 Ion. They are made in South Korea. They are the same quality as the OEM Hengst units. The Frams, STP's, Supertechs are made in Bulgaria. They look to be cheaply made compared to the OEM and Wix filters.

001-5.jpg

A 32mm socket also works to remove the filter housing.

Yup the Napa Gold came with an O-ring...it was a nice unit. I too don't know why some of these people would reef the drain plugs in! Aluminum pans and machined billet drain plugs don't need 40 lb feet of torque! You could easily strip that pan bolt.

I use the Wix, it also comes with a new ring.

I think the plug calls for something like 22 ft. lbs., right?

Glad to hear the Gold comes with an o-ring. I may use one next time. What was the price?

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I'll go buy a few of the Napa's Tomorrow and change out that fram I put in. I really do like the canaster filter ease of access. It's the first time I have ever used a canister and wish all my cars had them!

Originally Posted By: scudpilot
Thanks for the recommendation. I think I'll go buy a few of the Napa's Tomorrow and change out that fram I put in. I really do like the canaster filter ease of access. It's the first time I have ever used a canister and wish all my cars had them!

Depends on the canister make. Our 2003 Oldsmobile Alero with the Ecotec engine is an absolute snap to change. The 2008 Toyota Sienna not so much.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
All of my 1.25 inch sockets were too tall ...

Yes, typically the standard sockets are too tall and seat crooked on the filter cap due to interference issues with the intake manifold runners. Low-profile sockets are available specifically for this application; the one I bought was made by Lisle Tools. Fits perfectly.

By the way, with a little care the plastic cap should last for a very long time. I've seen more than a few where people tried using pliers (or something) to unscrew them and they looked like they had been chewed off. Replacement caps are readliy available from AC Delco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back