Vista SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.
My home PC tells me it's ready to install Vista Service Pack 1. It looks like a huge download, and the preview screen says it may take over an hour to complete. Have any of you downloaded this update yet? Any unfavorable results?

Yes. It corrects some of Vista's issues. Do it.

I have had no issues.

**When the beta version came out they had some issues, but those were corrected before this final version came out.

Last edited:
I've downloaded and installed it as soon as I bought my PC. It did take a while to install. I haven't noticed any ill effects. Been using it for about 4 months now.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
After you install it, do you notice anything different?

Maybe not, but then most people don't notice anything different after an oil change, either :)

Might as well do it, but don't go out of your way to do it before it's convenient or anything.

Last edited:
DO IT! Fixed a lot of little things, and everything is fairly silky. I never really had problems with Vista like people complain about, even programs that are "not Vista compatable" work fine on my laptop. Had Vista since Feb 2007.

It also fixed a few things with Windows Media Player and codec searching. Certain format videos that would not play before, work fine now.

Does anyone know if this patch fixes printer sharing with XP PC's in my wired LAN?

That is really the only issue I've ever had with Vista. I can't print on other networked PC's printers. As a stand alone OS on my business PC, Vista has been flawless other than this.

I definitely think it is worthwhile to install SP1 for Vista but if I was going to do it again I would buy the Vista SP1 upgrade on a DVD and install it that way. It takes a long time to download it from the internet.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I definitely think it is worthwhile to install SP1 for Vista but if I was going to do it again I would buy the Vista SP1 upgrade on a DVD and install it that way. It takes a long time to download it from the internet.

I'll just start the update around 2:00 a.m. & let it do it's thing while I snooooooze. (laughing to myself because I know Windows will require me to click yes, no, resume, continue, or some other nonsense in the middle of the update).

[/quote]
I'll just start the update around 2:00 a.m. & let it do it's thing while I snooooooze. (laughing to myself because I know Windows will require me to click yes, no, resume, continue, or some other nonsense in the middle of the update). [/quote]

Actually after the the first prompt or two its pretty self automated, it does multiple restarts and then should finish.

SP1 was a major success for Vista.

I started the update before I went to bed last night. I didn't bother to check this a.m. before work to see if the update worked. My wife just emailed me from home, so it must have been a success.

Yippeee (nose back to grindstone)

SP1 for Vista (x64) fixed a problem where in a 2-disk system where Vista 32-bit installed on 1st disk and Vista x64 on second disk, the Vista x64 version would not see the 1st hard drive at all. With SP1, it works as expected.

Vista without SP1 is not worth using IMO.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

Vista without SP1 is not worth using IMO.

Could be.....you seem to be really knowledgeable....however it's been working way better than XP for me. Please answer this:

Quote:
Does anyone know if this patch fixes printer sharing with XP PC's in my wired LAN?

If you do the regular MS updates as recommended for Vista only the portion of SP1 that are needed will be downloaded, but if you want to do it yourself you'll need the entire SP.

After mine updated I now hear Led Zepplin playing when I use the PC, models are always hitting on me, I find myself laughing with a stupid toothy smile all the time like some moron, so I guess the SP made thinsg better.

:^)

LOL.gif

Pablo, I don't know about that one. I have a couple XP & a couple Vista machines that are networked in my house for the sake of a few files and a printer. I turned off UAC after nothing I did would make the Vista "server" computer visible to the XP boxes. While people may consider UAC needed, I don't. UAC is primarily the security blanket for those who use IE to browse the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back