Goo gone to remove duct tape residue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not on my car. Really.

My niece used duct tape to hold the trunk closed on her older model Sonata until the dealer received the OEM trunk lock/latch.

Now that the duct tape is gone (which we all know will hold the trunk closed better than the OEM latch
55.gif
), the duct tape residue remains on the paint. I say that Goo-gone will not harm the paint if she uses it to remove the residue, then immediately cleans off all of the Goo-gone.

Ideas?

Goo Gone or WD40 are both good ideas.

Neither will hurt the paint. You will probably have to keep the adhesive wet for several minutes before it comes off easily. Lay a saturated piece of cloth or paper towel over the adhesive to help keep it wet.

Be gentle, there is more chance of damaging the paint by getting aggressive than there is of the Goo Gone or WD40 damaging the paint.

Googone will work fine. I used it on my painted rear bumper cover to remove the horrible residue from the "DARE" sticker my car came with. It wiped that gunk right off and the paint is perfectly fine.

Be careful - read the contents.

I know Goof Off has xylene which is a paint stripper and it can remove the paint down to the metal/plastic as can methylene chloride. If Goo Gone has either, don't use it. Better safe than sorry (don't ask how I know).

I would try a bug/tar remover first followed by a clay bar.

Regards,
GEWB

I tried goo gone to remove some leftover adhesive on a car once and it damaged the clearcoat, it was almost like it melted it. The effect was immediate too.

Citrol by Schaeffers works very well, if you have access to a dealer who will break a case. It is citrus based so I believe it would be less harmful to paint, although it does give the test-in-a-hidden-spot warning.

Peanut butter will remove most adhesive residue. Just don't lick it off your trunk, or the neighbors will give you funny looks.

Originally Posted By: GEWB
Be careful - read the contents.

I know Goof Off has xylene

No, Goof Off does not...Goo Gone, maybe. Different products.

Thanks again for the advice.

What is the name of the product that 3M makes to handle adhesive?

I'll have her try WD40 first, then peanut butter, then goo-gone.

Hey, I would usually recommend WD-40, but I just got a can of Jig-A-Loo (no I'm not racist) and it took a bunch of sap and tape residue off a neglected surface. I sprayed it and let it sit for a few minutes and it came off with a little scrubbing.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Thanks again for the advice.

What is the name of the product that 3M makes to handle adhesive?

I'll have her try WD40 first, then peanut butter, then goo-gone.

It's 3M Adhesive and Wax Remover. Available in spray or small liquid bottles. Can be found at most auto parts stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back