Any tall people riding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
I'm 6'4" since I was 14 years old, and I have to say one pet peeve of mine is how manufacturers do a terrible job of making bicycles for tall people. With any bike that I ride, the handle bars are too close to the seat. Rather than having my chest hang down for easy breathing I've always been hunched over and never getting the oxygen I need. It seems that all bicycle manufacturers have a fixed wheelbase (for kids), and for tall people they simply extend the frame upward so the seat and handle bars are higher - never accounting for proper proportions in the horizontal directions. Buying a 37" frame is somewhat meaningless. Do any other tall people have the same experience?

yes. dont know what to say... professional tuning of the bike helps a bit and certain frames are more friendly. Still its tough to get everything lined up comfortably.

JMH

where have you been shopping? many independent bike dealers have become very good at sizing people at the ends of the spectrum. many bike companies are very good w/ the larger sizes. the shop I used to work at was great w/ larger bikes (it helped that the owner was at least 6'3" himself).
go to some of the sites for cannondale and trek. check out the spec pages and you'll see that sizing is proportional.
now, some people just can't fit in something off the rack. so if you are the kind of guy that needs a suit custom tailored, well, there are no limits in bicycles. leonard zinn is one who specializes in big bikes, independent fabrications, serotta, moots, there are SO many guys out there that can custom fit you.

I had EXACTLY that same problem until recently. I bought a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29er. The wheels are 29" diameter instead of the usual 26 and the frame is an XL. I an 6'4", 260 pounds with a 35" inseam. This is the first bicycle I'm comfortable on in years. I'm now rocketing over stuff That before had me feeling like I was going to go careening over the bars.
I like this bike and the 29" wheels so much, that now, I'm building a 29" hardtail as a stablemate. I was keeping my old bike around for sentimental reasons, but there's absolutely no reason to anymore... I'll never ride it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back