Redline Water Wetter Contains Silicates- Bad Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard great reviews of how Redline Water Wetter truly does what it's marketed to do (decrease coolant temps), but I noticed in the MSDS that it contains polysiloxane polymer - a silicate based chemical.
http://www.redlineoil.com/msds/17.pdf
It doesn't say how much is in it, but I'm concerned this isn't good for the system. I believe OEM specs for my cars say no more than 250 PPM of silicon.

Thoughts/opinions/experiences, anyone?

I believe the silicates are added for water pump lubrication and corrosion prevention, as the product is mostly meant for use in racing applications where antifreeze is not used.

Save your $$$$$. No need for this junk if your cooling system is operating properly to begin with.

All it did was turn over flow tank in my Mustang into a black slime. And there was ZERO drop in temp.

I have used it with positive results, in that I have never overheated, and it lowered operating temps a bit.

I believe the black gunk stories are related to deposits loosening up that were already there in the first place, inhibiting proper cooling, which may be the reason the person tried the product in the first place. Overheating due to plugged up cooling systems.

At the time my 5.0 Mustang only had 30K miles, I had a 50/50 mix of coolant/water.....got black slime.
21.gif

Then I used a mix of 40% coolant, 60% water....and I still got black slime.
54.gif

Originally Posted By: JackFish
I have used it with positive results, in that I have never overheated, and it lowered operating temps a bit.

I believe the black gunk stories are related to deposits loosening up that were already there in the first place, inhibiting proper cooling, which may be the reason the person tried the product in the first place. Overheating due to plugged up cooling systems.

WW brown-gunked in my over-maintained BMW running OE G-48 coolant (which is changed more often than it needs to be). It didn't cause any problems in a previous Acura or Porsche. I won't be using it (ever) again.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Save your $$$$$. No need for this junk if your cooling system is operating properly to begin with.

All it did was turn over flow tank in my Mustang into a black slime. And there was ZERO drop in temp.

+1

It won't have any effect on thermostat-controlled/fan-regulated temperatures (operating temperatures) and using it as band-aide for an inadequate or poorly maintained cooling system is asking for trouble.

I used it in my '87 GT to reduce the frequency and duration that the electric fan needed to be run. It did both. We are not talking a huge margin here, but it was noticeable. I had no problem with goop or gunk, though it did add a pink tint to my antifreeze, which was 50/50 green ethylene glycol and water.

i put some in my v-twin atv cause it seemed to be running hot(duh, v-twin atv)and the rad fan seemed like it was running too much. The fan ran noticably less afterwards, but after 6 months-ish i noticed my clear hose which goes to the overflow resovoir had a reddish brown coating in it. I did read somewhere though that that is what happens if u use more than the recommended dosage, which i probably did.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I believe the silicates are added for water pump lubrication and corrosion prevention, as the product is mostly meant for use in racing applications where antifreeze is not used.

the silicates really don't lubricate, they are abrasive in nature which is why the push towards low silicate coolants or ones without such as dexcool. You are correct though that their primary purpose is corrosion protection, that happens by the silicates plating up on metal surfaces especially aluminum. The silicate concentration in 1 bottle of water wetter is probably way too low compared to regular 50/50 antifreeze mix to have any negative impact.

Originally Posted By: 1 FMF
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

the silicates really don't lubricate, they are abrasive in nature which is why the push towards low silicate coolants or ones without such as dexcool. You are correct though that their primary purpose is corrosion protection, that happens by the silicates plating up on metal surfaces especially aluminum. The silicate concentration in 1 bottle of water wetter is probably way too low compared to regular 50/50 antifreeze mix to have any negative impact.

Various silicates used in coolants (like sodium silicates) aren't abrasive. Sodium silicates are also known as "water glass". It's also used in dishwashing detergent as a dish protectant. A lot of people confuse silicates with silica, which IS sand. Some coolants use silicone as a lubricant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_silicate

The biggest problem with silicates is that they eventually gel out into a gunky mess unless changed often. Remember that Prestone used to be marketed as a product that should be changed every year, before they moved to the newer OAT forumlation. Smaller radiators in Japanese makes were especially susceptible.

I have read on some various auto forums that people have had much better luck with the Diesel Water Wetter as it is supposed to contain the surfactant only, no corrosion inhibitors like the regular Water Wetter. The better luck I'm referring to is with the gel or gunk build up on the overflow tank. I've thought about trying the Diesel version in my '06 Frontier, but I'm on the fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back