2008 Vw gli

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i just a new car a few weeks ago and im coming up on 1000 miles and i decided to do the first oil change at a 1000 miles.and i need help picking from 2 oils one choice is Pentosin pentosyth 5w40 and the other is Lubro Moly 5w40 and it says voll synthese on the bottle ( whatever that means ). if u can help pick 1 of the 2 oils mentiond it would be great help. Thanks

can really help with the pick but the lubro moly vollsynthese means fully synthetic. based on the msds sheet i found for the 5w40 and 0w40 the are at least 75% pao.

ive been reading here and on the vw forums and they both got great reviews . so did elf and a couple of others but i wanted to bring the list down to 2 so it makes it easier to choose.

think outside the box, youll get more commentary... Nothing sacred about those oils.

Put GC, PP 5w-40 euro on the list, maybe evn M1 0w-40 if it meets your required specs.

You can find an American made synthetic that meets the VW 502 spec for cheaper. It will also perform better or just as good as an European oil.

Valvoline Synpower 5W-30
Valvoline Synpower 5W-40
Kendall GT-1 5W-40
76 Super Synthetic 5W-40
Chevron Synthetic 5W-40
Castrol Syntec 5W-40
Castrol Professional OE 5W-30
Mobil 1 0W-40

Hi,
08VwGli - I would strongly recommend that you leave the Factory fill luricant in until the distance recommended by the Manufacturer or at least until 3k

Any of the lubricants displayed in Finkeljag's Post will do an excellent job

Last edited:
I second what Doug said regarding leaving in the factory fill. I am at 4900 miles on my 08 GTI and oil consumption has been zero except for one track day in which it burnt 8 oz. on that day. Also look at Rl_RS4 (I think that is right) posts regarding break-in. I researched the heck out of it and from the little info that is out there, it appeared to me that changing it out early (such as before 3500) posed potential problems such as oil burning while almost no one reported problems from leaving it in for the recommended interval.

Regarding oil, there are not that many UOAs posted for pentosynth, lubromoly, and elf. I was not impressed with the few pentosynth UOAs I have seen but there are so few it is just a random snapshot. Some other oils to consider in addition to those you identified are:

502 approved: M10W40 (too thin for my taste but many have had good luck with it)

Possibly 502 approved (some say it is, same say it isn't): M1 TDT 5W40, GC 0W30

Not 502 approved: Amsoil 5W40, Biosyn/renewable lubricants (hunt for Rl_RS4 posts on this), Redline 5W40

Many say run a high HTHS oil in this engine due to the fuel dilution (search for TeeDub's posts as he had some good info on this as I recall) and I subscribe to that philosophy until I see enough evidence to convince me otherwise. 502 calls for a 3.5 cP HTHS oil but some of these non approved ones have as much as 4.6 and have higher amounts of Zinc, P, etc. and some are group V.

Is your engine the FSI or the TSI?

Last edited:
The Lubro-Moly is great oil. I am usig their Top Tec 4200 in my 2.0TFSI, haven't done a UOA but it seems to be working fine, no consumption of oil and all looks very clean.

Has anyone seen a decrease in turbo lag (there was very little lag to start with) after changing out the factory fill on the first oil change? I changed to redline 5W40 and there was a dramatic improvement in lag and acceleration.

I am not sure if this is due to simply having new oil after dumping the factory fill or if it is due to the redline specifically. Did you guys notice any change?

I will post the factory fill UOA soon and would love to see the Lubro-Moly and Biosyn UOAs when you get them. Those are two oils I would like to try someday as I have heard great things about them in this motor.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Has anyone seen a decrease in turbo lag (there was very little lag to start with) after changing out the factory fill on the first oil change? I changed to redline 5W40 and there was a dramatic improvement in lag and acceleration.

I am not sure if this is due to simply having new oil after dumping the factory fill or if it is due to the redline specifically. Did you guys notice any change?

I will post the factory fill UOA soon and would love to see the Lubro-Moly and Biosyn UOAs when you get them. Those are two oils I would like to try someday as I have heard great things about them in this motor.

I changed out the factory fill at 1200km, put Mobil 1 0w-40 in (I had some old stock on the shelf), I ran that for 1500km and put Top Tec 4200 (504/507 spec) in. I have noticed the motor spools up quite quick..it feels better than during the first 1000km, but then I though that must just be due to break in.
21.gif

I have 5l of Top Tec 4100 (502 spec) and want to give that a try, thereafter I will use Motul 300V 5w-40.
I do quite a few short trip and must say I noticed the distinct smell of fuel when I open the oil filler, I then take the car for a highway drive to get everything nice and hot.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
love to see the Lubro-Moly and Biosyn UOAs when you get them. Those are two oils I would like to try someday as I have heard great things about them in this motor.

Some folks on the 'tex will be quick to dismiss Biosyn because it's not on the list.

I gotta do the VOA also, because some folks on TDIclub are interested

anyway, what will affect the UOA also, is the BSH PCV fix, which I just recieved in the mail

Last edited:
I dumped the factory fill in my 06 GTI at 1k miles and now at 50k mile I have had no issues with oil consumption. I just completed a 5k OCI with Amsoil 05W40 Euro Formula and I will be posting the UOA shortly, and I had no oil burn off with the Amsoil. The results were very good, better than the Castrol Syntec 05w40 that my dealer uses, but I still had some issues with fuel dilution, thinning and acid. It was also clear that the FSI motor had killed the add pack by 5k. I am considering running Biosyn next! Especially now that I am running out of my warranty shortly. What I have done is take it to the dealer for the specified 10k oil changes and done an additional change at 5k myself. So far so good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back