Red-Line SI-1: Whole bottle or maintenance dose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in my quest to aid my fuel dilution (and not so fantastic MPG on the Yaris), I've added a maintenance dose of RedLine SI-1. I'm a little concerned with dumping the whole bottle in there (as I only have a 40L tank (about 10 gallons), after all). What do you folks suggest? Continue with single ounce doses? Half a bottle and one-ounce doses there-after? Or just dump the whole thing in?

i would put half the bottle in with 10 gallons, drive it to near empty, fill it up and use the other half of the bottle.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
i would put half the bottle in with 10 gallons, drive it to near empty, fill it up and use the other half of the bottle.

+1
cheers3.gif

On a ten gallon tank, I would do a 1/2 bottle, then another 1/2 bottle on the next fill up. After that, I would add 3 oz per fill up. Now, that's what I do with my cars but they hold more than ten gallons. Here is what Dave at Red Line says about it. Taken from an email to me:

Johnny,

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the maintenance dose is about 1.5 ounces per 10 gallons of fuel. Ideally it should be used on a continuous basis, for continued lubricity, to maintain the injector cleanliness as well as working to clean intake valve in combustion chambers.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

Last edited:
I'm with Johnny here, that's what I'd do in your case. Me personally, I run good Top Tier gas (like Chevron, Shell, etc) and just dump a whole bottle of SI at oil change time. The top tier gas will do a decent job of keeping you clean. I don't think a maint. dose is really needed at every fill up unless you don't have access to good gas with Techron or equivelent.

I fill up with Shell exclusively (fleet card from my biz).

I have a UOA for the Yaris on here, and someone suggested the RedLine SI-1 to possibly help with the fuel dilution (~2%), based on the fuel gauge (and me ending up dumping the whole bottle in), I don't think it did anything but waste my money.

I find too much SI-1 on 1NZ-FE give worse mileage and less power.
The maintenance dose I find the best is around 0.75-1 oz per 100 gallon. If you never use this, you can try half bottle for one full tank. FYI, I use 5w-30/0w-30 engine oil.
If you use thinner oil xw-20, the recommended dosage 1.5oz/10 gallon might be better.

Just make sure the fuel dilution is not caused by sticky ring, since this engine is prone to that. Use auto-rx or engine flush to clean it if needed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
The maintenance dose I find the best is around 0.75-1 oz per 100 gallon.

Wow, you have a 100 gal tank?
wink.gif

Alright, just checked, ARX is EXPENSIVE to get shipped up. I am still interested, but I'd likely order a dozen bottles and split with friends.

Forgot to mention, all the oil stash is 5w-30, for simplicity, and as stated elsewhere, I dumped the whole bottle in.

Last edited:
I was a faithful user of this additive for years until I added a half bottle of Redline SL-1 to the gas of my 97 Chevy pickup with a 5.7 V-8 engine. Within two days, the engine began to hesitate and then fire on 6 or 7 cylinders. Finally, it barely ran. I managed to limp it in to the dealer. Upshot was that the injectors were filled with a fine sand-like substance that dissolved in MEK or acetone but not in gasoline. Two of the injectors had to be replaced. Mechanic, whom I had known for 25 years, immediately asked if I had added a gasoline additive.

Since then, I have only used the Lucas gas additive.

i don't think SI-1 has MEK or acetone. i've shock dosed the whole bottle in 10 gallons but the 1/2 bottle now is a good idea

speculating maybe the sand-like stuff was from tank sediment freed up by the SI-1? also isn't your fuel filter supposed to stop particles that big

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RD400
Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
The maintenance dose I find the best is around 0.75-1 oz per 100 gallon.

Wow, you have a 100 gal tank?
wink.gif

Hahaha..my finger like to type more zero on numbers
grin2.gif

it should be 0.75-1 oz per 10 gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back