What oil for 2.7T Allroad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been thinking about switching from my current fill (5w40 Pentosin Pento High) to either 5w40 Redline or 0w40 Motul 8100 E-Tech, what do you guys think about these oils? The car is an 04 Audi Allroad 6-speed manual with 46K miles. I do oil changes every 5K miles and the car mostly is driven in town with occasional freeway/roadtrip use. Do these engines prefer a particular brand and or viscosity of oil? I'm open to other suggestions too! Thanks

any of those would be fine. Id also consider GC and Amsoil euro 5w-40, RLI Biosyn 5w-40 and mobil 1 0w-40.

With such a short OCI, Id shop for price amongst any of those excellent oils.

JMH

In some versions of that engine, the oil lines to the turbos are not very large, even a 5w-40 can flow poorly in cold conditions. I'm not sure what your climate is like. Short trips and cold weather, I'd probally use a synth 5w-30 or 0w-30 over 5w-40.

How can I tell which style oil lines I have? It sounds like maybe I can push the OCI out further than 5K miles...how far? If 0W30 is a better weight for those smaller oil lines what do you guys think of Pentosin Pentospeed 0W30?

If you can get some oil samples into your freezer, you would know what I mean. I suppose the Pento 0w-30 is a thicker Euro 30 weight and will easily carry the needed HT/HS (hightemp/highshear) rating of >3.5cP for Euro specs. Very much a safe call. MaxLife synth 5w-30 falls into that thick 30 catagory, if that is easier to obtain. I was suggesting a thin American 5w or 0w-30, if you see extreme cold, but a Euro 30, like I said, is a very safe bet and is prefered for winter.

As for the lines, I would assume that you have the small or "normal" lines. I don't know details about it, just to make you aware of this issue.

One appraoch would be to use the same brand of 5w-40 and 0w-30 for summer and winter, like your Pentosin. I think the Euro oils are generally overrated, with the exception of German Syntec 0w-30, which would be my 1st and last choice for a 2.7tt. You did not mention GC as an option, but I will go ahead and do that. AMSoil is another good idea too. Their 0w-30 makes good HT/HS.

Originally Posted By: synormin
Been thinking about switching from my current fill (5w40 Pentosin Pento High) to either 5w40 Redline or 0w40 Motul 8100 E-Tech, what do you guys think about these oils? The car is an 04 Audi Allroad 6-speed manual with 46K miles. I do oil changes every 5K miles and the car mostly is driven in town with occasional freeway/roadtrip use. Do these engines prefer a particular brand and or viscosity of oil? I'm open to other suggestions too! Thanks

I would also consider:
Shell Rotella T-synthetic 5w40 (great on price, if your local Wally World has it)
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5w40

The problem with the oil lines was corrected in 2001, IIRC.

As far as oil, use a VW/Audi-approved oil that meets the VW502.00 spec. I use GC (Castrol Syntec 0w30), available at AutoZone in the USA, in my allroad with a 10K OCI. Along with the factory-specified Mann oil filter.

Thanks for all the great feed back guys! I decided on the Pento Speed 0W30 which I ordered today. It meets VW 502.00 505.00 and 503.01 specifications and I have the Mann-Hummel filter to go with my next oil change. Think I'll follow your footsteps williar and stretch OCI out to 10K...the car sees mostly short trips and the climate year round is cool (most of the reason for the lower vis oil).
UG_Passat I use 5W40 RTS in my '76 911 and my 911 seems to like it! Ideally it would be nice to have one oil for all my vehicles but I'm not sure that product exists for me.
Redline seems to make great products but I wonder what their ZDDP content is for flat tappet motors and the like.
Thanks again...this forum is great.

Synormin, the later 2.7T received the newer stainless steel lines. Which are larger and able to handle the heat better from the turbos.
2244.jpg

The main thing with any 2.7T is to keep up on your oil changes(and timing belt), especially on stock KO3 turbos. Don't go longer than 5k, I've seen these turbos fail in 30k miles.

I ran Mobil 1 5w-30 for over 114,000 miles without any troubles on 10,000 mile changes, but did more highway than city. Most important is to let the car idle for a couple minutes to cool the turbos prior to shutdown as not to coke the oil in the turbo lines and housing, that is what will kill the turbo.

So maybe I shouldn't run the OCI out to 10K miles? I justified the spendy, er spendier oil to my wife by touting the benefits of increased fuel economy (lighter viscosity) and longer drain intervals (less garage time = more yard/house work)...is it back to the drawing board?!? I try to be good about letting the motor idle for a minute or two before shut down...so far so good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back