Best way to check for sludge in used Passat 1.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDD

With car prices down due to all the financial [censored], I am getting the bug to buy another car. I found a nice 2003 1.8 Turbo Passat. I need to know the best--and fastest--way to check for sludge. So I guess this is a shout out to VW owners or mechanincs. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi!

Other than pulling the valve cover off (which may not be possible if you are inspecting a used vehicle), I'm afraid that the only way you can (to the best of your abilities) is to visually inspect the oil filler cap and filler hole, dipstick end, etc.

Regardless of condition, it would be highly desirable to run 2 rounds of AutoRx to dissolve any deposits outstanding that may otherwise cost you major $$$ down the road, and then start the regimen of running VW-approved (was it VW505.1 spec?!) synthetic motor oil with AutoRx maintenance dose.

19.gif

Q.

Have a repair shop pull the valve cover and drop the oil pan.
If you're really sold on the car and at last dickering ask if the guy will go half/half on cost if you decide to buy it. The most you can lose is the labor cost. The most you can win is a plum and peace of mind.
I'd still do the Auto-Rx rounds as suggested above.

Open the oil cap and see what you can find. My buddy had a V6 Passat before trading it in he cleaned up the engine compartment and as a BITOG'er i asked him if i could take a peak under the oil cap...load and behold cabon and a bunch of crud.

I would drain the oil and use a Hawkeye Bore scope to have a look at what is inside the oil pan (crank case). They are not cheap but they are a useful tool.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Have a repair shop pull the valve cover and drop the oil pan.
If you're really sold on the car and at last dickering ask if the guy will go half/half on cost if you decide to buy it. The most you can lose is the labor cost. The most you can win is a plum and peace of mind.
I'd still do the Auto-Rx rounds as suggested above.

Although great advise. I don't know too many dealerships that will allow a pan drop. They will allow you to take the car to have it checked out, but if they catch wind you plan on pulling the oil pan I don't think they'll agree.

If they do, it would be on your dime. On a positive note, its probably the best time to be in the market for a car, new or used.

Frank D

When my friend bought her Corolla, I asked to take it to a shop for an inspection. The Hertz dealer just handed me the keys and just asked me where I was going. If I had the shop drop the oil pan, they probably wouldn't have known if I did not tell them.

Is this VW at a dealership or from a private party ?
They should have no objections if you want to peak under the valve cover.

I'm also thinking about buying another car as my highway econobox since I do lots of highway miles.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
When my friend bought her Corolla, I asked to take it to a shop for an inspection. The Hertz dealer just handed me the keys and just asked me where I was going. If I had the shop drop the oil pan, they probably wouldn't have known if I did not tell them.

Could very well be, but I wouldn't want to pay to R&R an oil pan gasket on a car I might buy. I would take it to a mechanic though. In close to 4 years of selling cars, several hundred cars, I had 3 customers take a car to a mechanic, and a lot boy always took the car.

Having a car checked by a mechanic and pulling a valve cover or dropping an oil pan is what seperates BITOG'ers from the general population :) Good luck with the purchase........

Frank D

Later cars usually got better VW 502 oil service. 2003 is borderline in that regard. A direct oil pressure test would be usefull.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

I'm also thinking about buying another car as my highway econobox since I do lots of highway miles.

It's a private party. It's a woman owner and she does not know much about cars, so it has given me a little wariness about the car, but she says it has been dealer serviced. If she does not have documentation, I will pass on the vehicle. These are great vehicles, but the sludge issue is a worry.
Also, is there an extended warranty by VW on the 1.8 like some of the other sludger manufacturers?

Originally Posted By: JDD
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

It's a private party. It's a woman owner and she does not know much about cars, so it has given me a little wariness about the car, but she says it has been dealer serviced. If she does not have documentation, I will pass on the vehicle. These are great vehicles, but the sludge issue is a worry.
Also, is there an extended warranty by VW on the 1.8 like some of the other sludger manufacturers?

Ask her what dealer and they should have all the service records available for you to view. I think it won't matter what dealer it was serviced at either. The VIN should show what was done where.

The local VW dealership used bulk dino 5W-30 until the sludge news hit. Do the inspection and don't rely on records unless they tell you exactly what you want to see.

A manual or 4-Mo (quattro) car, or even a wagon merits an inspection to ascertain the engine condition. You can make it work on your behalf, if the engine's good and the deal is great. I cation against an automatic, expensive to service and to replace. Control arms, wheels bearing, ABS unit and PS rack would be other concerns, not a deal-killer though.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Pull the valve cover.

Walk away.

In that order? ...or can he skip step #1 if he's going to do step #2
54.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back