Code PO128- Thermostat??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister has a 2001 Saturn L200. The check engine light recently started coming on, so she takes it to Autozone and has them scan for codes. They came up with code PO128, "Engine coolant temp below thermostat temp."

I'm probably gonna replace the thermostat regardless, as I feel it's be a good maintenance thing to do. The only other thing I could possibly think of is maybe the coolant temp sensor. She said the fans were turning on even when it was really cold outside, which I think is probably normal, but it's also possible.

Anyone do a thermostat on one of these before? I know thermostats are generally very easy but I've never done one before, on any car. Any advice/insights/suggestions are very much appreciated.

Also, the thermostat located right where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine right? I know on most cars it is but this Saturn has some strange design elements from what I've seen so far.

Last edited:
Fairly easy. Mouted on the front of the engine towards the pass side of the car. Don't loose the cardboard tube. The thermostat is pushed in and quarter turn to lock. If you have a mech mirror it's pretty easy to see. Most replacement t-stats come with the tube, if not a needle nose pliers will work, but on install be careful not to crush the t-stat.

^ That sounds right for a 1.9, is it the same for a 2.2 ecotec or 3 liter V6?

The fans will run when the car is cold if the AC is on, even as part of the defroster. If there's a CTS fault forcing the fans on there'll be a code for that too.

Diagnosing this much farther will probably take more time than the thermostat job. My experience with GM's is they usually fail cold, which is a good failsafe.
thumbsup2.gif

Make sure the mating surfaces are clean and corrosson free.
I am a fan of using a LIGHT coat of silicone RTV on gaskets and 'O' rings - no comebacks.
You may have a sensor problem. If the thermostat does not fix the problem, look there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back