Application Packages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had installed a nifty application (Xournal) that worked flawlessly on my Nokia N800 internet tablet. I was prompted to update it, and things went bad. Very bad. The guy who developed the program made the update available without warning to "those people" (like me, who are clueless):

Quote:
Today I've uploaded an alpha version of Xournal (packaged for diablo) on the maemo extras-devel repository. Thus, those people got the notification of an update available and went straight to the Application Manager in order to update.

I see here two mistakes:

1) they should have not installed the -devel repository (unless they knew what they were doing)
2) the Application Manager should TELL from WHERE the package is coming from

However, the next release of Xournal HAS NOT YET been released.
And I strongly suggest, whoever has the maemo extras-devel repo installed, to NOT update to the Diablo version yet.

And then he stated:
Quote:
WARNING: Installing Xournal from this install file will add either "maemo Extras (chinook)" and "maemo Extras Devel (chinook)" repositories. I STRONGLY suggest you to remove the "Devel" one after Xournal has been installed.

This install file should work on Diablo too. If you're running Diablo, after Xournal has been installed, disable both Chinook catalogues!

Anyway, I am running Diabolo and obviously I should not have updated the program. Since there was no warning, it's too late now. I found the Extras Devel repository in the Applications catalog and deleted it. I found only ONE Chinook catalog.

Anyway, I can't get the program to launch, so I want to remove it COMPLETELY. In the Application Catalog, when I check what I need to remove I find a list of "application packages." Will all those be uninstalled automatically when I uninstall the program, or do I have to hunt them down one by one? If the latter is the case, where do I find them?

The Application Manager let's me uninstall Xournal (0.4.2.1-1diabolo2), but it's only 0.8 MB small, versus the supposed 6.7 MB total. That's why I'm not sure if all Xournal "components" will be uninstalled.

app_packages.jpg

Oh well, I "think" the complete program was uninstalled at once.

Somehow I managed to reinstall the old version, which worked fine. I don't know exactly how I could download it, since it's supposedly not available anymore. Or maybe it was put back up. At this point I don't care anymore.

I still would love to know where exactly to find, or where to look for those application packages, just in case...

I begin contemplating the possibility that even the experts' knowledge is in only a very limited area.
wink.gif

On my Mac, in the Application Folder, I can right-click on an application and go "Show Package Contents." Shouldn't something like this be possible on the N800, which runs Linux (Diabolo)?

So ideally a program will be completely uninstalled with all its package contents if I just choose to "uninstall" with the uninstall option? Or is that wishful thinking? I do know that on my Mac, some components (package contents, I suppose) of a program are maybe not deleted when I "uninstall" and remain put, waiting to cause issues later. That's why I use generally an application (Application Delete), which automatically hunts down and deletes all parts of an application, wherever they may be hiding.

I had a problem on the N800 with a game that I downloaded but hated. Alas, the games icon kept sticking around. I had to access root and remove the game icon via the Terminal.

If I were prone to OCD, I'd probably be ripping my hair out one by one by the root while getting liquored up.
20.gif

Yes, the uninstall function is far from being mastered in the *nix environment. But it's not like it's any better in Windows
wink.gif

At least there's no bloody registry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back