Good Sport Touring bikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lorenzo
Originally Posted By: Jim 5
There's some excellent books out there on sport riding technique that can benefit any rider.
I've read tons of them and recommend Nick Ienatch's "Sport Riding Techniques" to everyone. He goes into excellent detail on line selection, body position, braking, shifting and street strategy. Best of all, it's the best written, best edited book on the subject.

Sport riding techniques, Total control, proficient motorcycling.. all good books to read and study

well, I have a 2003 Suzuki bandit 1200...What an awesome bike!
torque coming out of its ears! from 3000rpm up.. has about 95% of the torque of your ZX.and 100 RW horsepower I have done 650 miles with only my knees bothering me a bit. (6' 2" 250 lbs weight training for 30 years...knees get a bit bad :(..
Great as a canyon carver..just ask the guy on the Connie 1400 that tried to keep up with me going up Mt St Helens ...:)
The engine is considered the Chevey small block of the bike world ..very upgradeable, standard sport tires ..oil/air cooled..and 36-40 MPG

Originally Posted By: TucsonDon
Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
Reading in the October 2008 Issue of Cycle World on page 34, the Honda Gold Wing is a "giant sportbike"

The story is that when the GL1800 was refreshed in (I think) 2001, the project was headed up by the chief design engineer for the Honda sport bike line. He took what he knew about sport bikes and folded it into the redesign of the Wing. And the new Wing (at that time ... 2001) was a complete re-design ... a whole new frame and suspension setup. Whether all that is entirely true I can't say with certainty. But give the way the bike handles, and Honda's obvious pride in their sport bike heritage, it would not surprise me.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
still at this point in my life I think I am good with the FJR1300. When I do get in my late 40's and 50's maybe a wing....

The GL1800 was designed by Masanori Aoki, whose previous projects had been the CBR 600F3 and the CBR400RR. His goal was to build a sports bike that sacrificed no touring capability.

My opinion is that the GL1800 does sacrifice some touring capability when compared to the GL1500. The GL1500 is the ultimate interstate tourer, while the GL1800 is most comfortable in the twisties. While the GL1800 does Interstate duty better than any sport-tourer, it is like a sport-tourer in that you are always looking for the next set of twisties.

I owned a Concours 1000 when I first rode the GL1800. I was simply shocked to find that the GL1800 was just as quick, but felt quicker, and that it handled better than my Concours. The fact that it was far more comfortable sold me on the bike.

If you've never ridden a GL1800, you simply don't know what you are missing. I'm 38, but if I had known how wonderful the GL1800 was in 2001, I'd of bought one then. I was guilty of thinking that it was a road-going barge, as most who have not ridden it feel. While it is a heavy and large bike, all of that weight dissapears the moment you move out, and it actually feels lighter than the Concours 1000 that I came from, both when moving and stopped. My girlfriend has no problem pulling the Wing off of it's sidestand, where she had trouble pulling the Concours up.

The GL1800 is certainly not for everyone, but give it a try before you dismiss it.

You would be happy with the FJR.....wish I still had mine.

Best bike I owned back in the early 90's. Never gave me a speck of trouble (unlike my Ninja 500 which needs more frequent valve adjustments).

There are a fews guys around my town who have FJR's with the original paint & logos....still look good & running strong to this day.

GL

Last edited:
im excited about getting one although financially i wont be able to do it right now but will keep saving up. From what i hear it is not uncommom for these bikes to have 250K on them and still running strong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back