Cummins 5.9 w/ 43,000miles....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received Blackstone analysis. Copper is still elevated at 24 but down from 37 at last change. Replaced turbo but still some residual copper HOPEFULLY...
All else looks good briefly...
IRON 24
ALUM 3
LEAD 1
SILIC 5
Moly was healthy at 100. Everything was at universal averages or less except the copper and Potassium jumped to 20 where my average was 4. They said they don't think its from antifreeze and they are seeing this more with these engines...? My coolant level is always the same.
TBN is 6.9 on 6000 miles with ValvPremBluSyn 5w40.
In your opinions, how much longer should I run the oil?
Any explainations on the potassium?
Thanks...

is the original 7/70k Powertrain and 7/100k Dodge Cummins engine warranty still in effect?

numbers look great.
what about soot level? 617rwhp, you must be pumping extra fuel thru it.

EGT's? critical in these engines.
what was the oxidation/nitration #s?

as many HPs as you're laying down from those 6 overworked cylinders, I would not go any further on the oil

Oil is cheap, Cummins engines are not when a rod goes thru the block :2cents:

Last edited:
20 ppm of K in 6000 miles tells me there is some coolant or other ingress. So the turbo was just replaced? Is it a water cooled turbo? Perhaps this work could have caused it. What did Blackstone put for coolant/antifreeze? a zero or a ?

Warranty? What's that? My truck has never/will never go to a dealership. I do all my own work. Soot levels were a bit high WHEN I ran the high horsepower numbers. (.6) was the highest I believe. Now at (.4) I have not run anything but stock programming for probably the last 10k miles due to fuel costs. Egt's are/were always monitored. I have more gauges than a NASCAR stocker. Literally.
I replaced the turbo before the last oil change due to a noise that developed. Not a water cooled turbo. Blackstone put a ? for antifreeze. Truck is not babied, but not abused at all. The high number for horsepower was used so infrequently I think it's inconsequential. When I ran more power it was usually in the 400hp range or less.

Do you allow your engine to idle for 2 minutes before shutting down? When you don't do that, it tends to wear out non water cooled turbos quickly.

I let it idle until EGT's get below 300 degrees. I have a timer that automatically shuts her down waiting a specified time. Usually during the summer this is 3-4 minutes and about a minute and a half during winter. I removed my aftermarket turbo and reinstalled my stock turbo which only had 15,000 miles on it. Runs like a champ. I need to ask Blackstone why they are seeing more potassium in these current Cummins engines as they stated.

I am very interested in this oil - is there any chance we could see the UOA in full albeit not a VOA it would still tell allot about its add pac. You show Moly, what about Boron, Antimony, Zinc, Phos, Magnesium, Calcium, etc. This oil is readily available and should work well in a VW. What was the price per gallon in your area.

wjdell, here's some other numbers you requested.
boron- 28
phosphorus- 1040
magnesium- 347
calcium- 2384
zinc- 1179
moly- 100
Report doesn't show antimony. I have always had good results with Valvoline either regular or synthetic in this engine. This is the CI4 oil and not the newer stuff. I happened to be in a local NAPA store and they had 6 gallons of the older 5w-40 so I bought em' all. Don't know if they are easy to find anymore. I think I paid $26 per gallon... not cheap but worth it to me.

Valvoline PB 5W-40 looks like a great oil - nice shot of moly in it! Wonder if that will stay in with the re-formulation....

It looks like a real good oil - availability should be good. I bet you'll do very well with it. I am trying to get some VW PD owners to try this oil. Boron is a little weak but I like the formula. Shell RT CJ4 also has Boron 60 and Mo 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back