Older Diamondback Headset assy ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like an idiot, can't figure out where the 2 rubbber cups go? I have had the bike apart for a few years. I know I should have made a diagram. Not very often I get stumpped on this kinda stuff, but it happens................
Does anyone have the same set up and can give me a heads up? Otherwise I guess I will look for a mtn bike forum or see If Diamondback can give me an exploded diagram.

100_3438.jpg

100_3439.jpg
100_3440.jpg
100_3443.jpg

If I had the parts in my hand, I could probably figure it out. Check out mtbr.com. good bike forum.

Is that a Manitou Three? Great fork.

Yes Manitou 3

Well I told myself I would remember how it went together.......I let a few years go by and here I am.
I normally have no problem getting this kind of thing put together. Thanks for the forum heads up.

If I knew how your headset needs to be put together, I'd tell you. My bike has a headset with sealed cartridge bearings, so it looks a little different.

Important is the orientation of the bearing retainers (if you choose to use them for convenience -- they are not required): the "open side" of the retainer ring must always face the cone-shaped race. There is usually a circular rubber gasket or O-ring that seals the bearings against moisture.

That thin black ring that I see closest to the fork race, is that metal? If so, then it's not a gasket but most likely a spacer ring for the threadless stem -- meaning it goes between the uppermost bearing race and the stem for proper stem length adjustment. If that thin ring is rubber, then it's probably a seal for either the upper or lower bearing.

You say there are two rubber cups?

Bottom pict - right side cup - wheel side of the steerer tube.

Bottom pict - left side cup - bar side of steerer tube. That's the topcap.

Thin rubber ring is the bottom seal.

Thick rubber wedge shaped thing goes on last to hold everything in place.

Top cap with bolt adjusts everything. Make sure you still have the star fangled nut inside the steerer tube.

Originally Posted By: wantin150

Do you have by any chance a picture that shows this installed? I've never seen the large rubber part...

Please excuse the dust and grime. I'm just showing this setup to show that not all headsets are designed the same way.

That's the threadless IRD Techno-Glide headset with a Thomson stem on my bike. The Techno-Glide has sealed cartridge bearings. So far I like it. It's buttery smooth and keeps the filth (low-tech theft deterrent) out, which is obviously one of my requirements.

ird_techno_glide.jpg

Thanks for the help guys!
This 1st pic is what I have found to be the only thing that makes sense. It was kinda the only way it will work. The 2 bigger disc 1 thicker rubber and one thinner rubber/metal disc.

Left disc in 2nd pic goes on next with right one on next.
As shown in 3rd pic.
4th pic shows stem at about the right spacing.
5th shows it before pushed down all the way.

Does this make sense? I believe I have it right......Fingers crossed.

Maybe the thing that is throwing me off is I was expecting meatal spacers under the stem like my road bike. So I guess the bearing is preloaded with top rubber spacer and not solid aluminum like my road bike?

100_3448.jpg
100_3449.jpg
100_3450.jpg
100_3452.jpg
100_3453.jpg
100_3454.jpg

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Maybe the thing that is throwing me off is I was expecting meatal spacers under the stem like my road bike. So I guess the bearing is preloaded with top rubber spacer and not solid aluminum like my road bike?

I can only imagine that the rubber parts contain solid metal discs. I've never before seen this design. Your Ritchey's headset looks "normal."

Moribundman I have been to that link and and those are all newer set ups. Thanks for the link though.

I am starting to wonder if the spectrum seal goes to some other part of the bike. I just can't seem to find a logical place to put it. Without the spectrum disc the fork tube comes up all the way thru the stem.

I could have sworn the spectrum disc went with the fork tube assy though?
I agree with you tom slick that it does not make sense the spectrum disc should be stacked. In fact when I tried to tighten down the two together the spectrum disc just compressed too much. The fork tube was almost even with the top of the stem.

I could see just using some ring spacers like on my road bikes Ritchey set up. In fact I have extra spacers that I might try. They are the same diameter as this mtn bike fork tube.

I will ask the bike shop guys their opinion. They might try to get me to upgrade to a new headset bearing. Otherwise I am going to try adding some solid spacers, it only makes sense.
I just want to see if I like riding this bike with out throwing a bunch of money at it first. If I like it I might upgrade it. Have spent a few bucks so far on it.

Last edited:
Talked to the bike shop mechanic. I am going to use everything but the black spectrum disc. I put the parts on in the order of my pics and left out the spectrum disc and inserted the thick aluminum spacer disc that was extra from my road bike. He said that is OK.

I don't know why I don't have the proper spacer for it?

Yes this thing is becoming a Beast alright....
Makes me wish I had a high speed camera of every move I ever made involving this bike. That is the only thing that can ever prove what happened. I don't even remember how long the bike has been apart? 5 years, or maybe even 7 years.

I am sure I did some "Space Out Thing" and lost a part or something that I don't remember.
Seems like I am missing a spacer and have a fat rubber disc as an extra part. Forward I go with the assembly process.
I will post pics when I get it together. My next challenge will be finding a place to ride it.

Maybe I will figure out where the Spectra spacer goes yet.

Thanks for the support from all of you.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: wantin150

Do you have by any chance a picture that shows this installed? I've never seen the large rubber part...

No pict but... The wedge goes on last. Once you get all the cups and bearings in place, it goes on to help hold everything together so the steerer doesn't fall out on the stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back