Shooter's Choice grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went shooting recently and I decided to try Shooter's Choice grease which I happened to find in a Big R Store. I also did a second test with BreakFree.

The Shooter's Choice grease is great! My Glock really operated well with it. So far that is the first time I have tried the Shooter's Choice but I am very impressed. This grease may be what I move to. I will need to do more testing to make sure.

I have decided to eliminate BreakFree. If you remember my post a while back when I tested BreakFree I mentioned that there were tiny pieces of what appeared to be brass from the cartridge cases in the interior of the gun. Well, this happened again and it happens only with the BreakFree. And I used a higher quality, different ammunition. I have decided that I really, really dislike BreakFree. The Birchwood Casey gun oil was much better.

A guy who used to shoot .45s in competition told me he used to use Shooter's Choice grease. And now he uses some Lubriplate grease that is used mainly for automotive door hindges.

Well, I am not going searching all over the place to find that Lubriplate grease. The Shooter's Choice grease is really excellent as far as I can tell so far. As long as it is available whenever I need it at the Big R Store. If they were out when I needed it I would probably use the Birchwood Casey gun oil.

How close is the Shooter's Choice to the Mil-Comm TW-25B. I have used the latter with very good success on my Sig P229 and on my AR's bolt carrier group as both of those weapons love to run wet.

Originally Posted By: Mystic

A guy who used to shoot .45s in competition told me he used to use Shooter's Choice grease. And now he uses some Lubriplate grease that is used mainly for automotive door hindges.

Well, I am not going searching all over the place to find that Lubriplate grease.

Lubriplate grease is as close as your nearest auto parts store. It's all I use in my pistols and revolvers as well as the sliding parts of my long guns. I clean and relube my guns after each use, one round or 500 rounds. YMMV.

Never used the SC grease but it gets good reviews over on Sig forum. How is the viscosity compared to the Jardine's grease?

I am going to try to answer all of the questions. My guess is that the Jardine's grease is slightly thicker than the Shooter's Choice. My gun without question performs well with it. The grease is red in color. With my Glock I will put just 5-6 tiny drops of grease on the gun in the required places. With my SIG I will put more grease on. I also intend to put grease on my Dad's old shotgun and rifle that I have stored away.

I do like a grease as long as the slide action is not slowed down too much. It is more messy to clean up but the grease also stays put on the gun a lot better. Even using a grease I always clean my gun after shooting it.

But you don't have to check each week that oil is still present if the gun sits in a holster all week if you are using oil. I still like the Birchwood Casey oil as a substitute if the Shooter's Choice grease is not available.

The one concern I have right now is if the grease will always be available when I need a new supply. Of course I could order online but I would prefer to buy locally. There was exactly one tube of grease available at the store.

The TW25B grease seems to me to be kind of water like. And in my opinion the Shooter's Choice grease stays put better.

I will give this grease a good test but right now I think I have found a good lubricate. For cleaning I can use Hoppes #9 for the gun barrel interior.

Some stuff I tried I will use for other stuff. I am coming to the end of my testing. I think I have finally found a grease that will get the job done.

I've been using SC grease for 10yr and find it to be a good product. My 1911 slide has gone over 16K rnds without a malfunction in temps of 20 to 105 degrees. It seems to smooth out the sear on my Rugers also.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
The TW25B grease seems to me to be kind of water like.

It will separate into thin oil and white solids in storage , massage the tube for a few min. to remix . I could not tell you if this is a bad thing or not , just an observation .

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Teflon coming out of the oil. Probably not good. Not sure if it is the thickener of the grease but I think so.

Pretty sure that's the case , oil is very thin . Feels like 5W or thinner . Let a tube of TW25B sit unused for 6 months or so and you will have to remix .

I have not seen separation in actual use , but usually don't give much of a chance for that to happen if I have a choice ...
This stuff actually seems to work pretty well and does not get super thick in the cold .

A lot of people brag about this TW25B. At first I sort of liked it but it does seem to break down or something and can get kind of watery. Components separate out or something.

So far I am impressed with the Shooter's Choice grease. I also liked the Jardine's grease and for oils I liked Birchwood Casey synthetic gun oil and Hoppes Elite (for my SIG anyway).

I would like to use oil but grease seems to work better for semi-autos. Somebody needs to come out with a gun oil that is synthetic and has truly good extreme pressure additives. For as much as they charge for gun oils that should be possible.

If grease is used it needs to be a good grease that is very light and does not slow down the slide.

I would have to say that in my experience Birchwood Casey gun oil works really well. The Hoppes Elite seemed to make the slide on my SIG really work smooth.

My conclusion? If you don't shoot much oil the gun right before you shoot. If you shoot a lot grease might well be better. If you use oil you need to check the gun often to be sure that the oil has not flowed off of the gun. Grease will stay put. In very cold weather oil (synthetic) would probably be better. You can also use a combination of grease and oil for different parts of the gun.

Wilson of Wilson Combat recommends grease (except in very cold weather) and 500 rounds between cleaning and lubrication. That goes against my lifetime training of cleaning a gun and lubricating a gun after every time I shoot. If a person does clean and lubricate the gun every time after shooting and does not shoot more than about 50 rounds at a time I guess oil would probably be better, especially for a Glock that does not need much lubrication anyway.

Even though I use EEZOX to lubricate my guns, I use moly paste on slide rails and extractor stars. I use just a smear, it goes on nearly dry and works great!

as40tl6.jpg

I have used grease just on the contact points and I also have used the kind of anti-seize stuff that Glock puts on their guns at the factory just on the contact points.

Where did you get that stuff that you show pictures of? I notice it has MoS2. Jardine's has a second grease in addition to their regular grease that has MoS2. Brownell's has a grease that has a lot of that also.

Last edited:
For me, it doesn't matter what the stuff looks like, as long as it works. I only use tiny amount and only on slide rails and extractor stars, I don't even see it.

I have used Shooters Choice grease for a long time. I use it on my shotgun hinge pins and on my autoloading pistol slides. I also use it on my bolt action rifle locking lugs. In 110+ to -20 degree temps it worked great. A little goes a long way. Great stuff!

Fatboymoe I try to use just 5-6 little drops of grease to lube the Glock. Glocks don't need a whole lot of lube anyway. So far the gun has functioned well and the grease does not seem to slow down the slide.

I really prefer to oil guns but I am coming to the conclusion that grease is simply better, at least for semi-autos. Strangely enough and even though I am an old guy I have never owned a revolver. I have shot several revolvers. I have shot a couple of .44 magnums, .45 Long Colts, .357 magnums, .38 Specials, and maybe more that I can't remember. But oddly I have never owned a revolver so I don't know about the maintenance needs for a revolver. A little bit of oil might be fine for a revolver. I simply don't know and I can't comment on revolvers.

I had to have some maintenance done on my old SIG P226 and I took it to a gunsmith who had also been a gunsmith in the army. To me it looked like that old SIG was starting to wear but the gunsmith told me it had only light wear (after thousands of rounds being fired through it). So maybe it just needs to be recoated. I used mainly oil to lube it and sometimes grease. So maybe oil can do the job-but I think grease protects better and it does not flow out of the gun while the gun is in a holster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back