Roadbike vs general purpose tourer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GF picked up a new Bianchi road bike (Via Narone I think) a few weeks ago and I'm thinking about replacing my aging and rusted mountain bike with something I can ride around recreationally and keep up with her on. Since I'm used to the mountain bike position I'm tempted to get something like this which seems like a nice compromise between comfort and efficiency.

But, like I said, I want to be able to keep up with her. I really don't know much about bikes but the lower price and possibly higher durability of a more general purpose bike are attractive to me over the pencil thin wheels and aluminum frame of a pricier roadbike.

Any general thoughts on this subject?

'keeping up' is all about the engine (YOU). you might be gear limited, she might have an aerodynamic advantage, but it all comes down to the power.
that Kona looks cool, just the way I like 'em, simple, no frills.

Simple except for the disc brakes (which the gearhead in me thinks are cool).

The engine is what makes this a tough question. I'm pretty out of shape but can get back in shape quickly, I think. I can definitely put out more power than she can and there are enough hills around here that I'm thinking the gear limiting won't be an issue.

Hey worst case I'll just have to add an electric motor and 30 lbs of batteries!

Originally Posted By: rationull
Hey worst case I'll just have to add an electric motor and 30 lbs of batteries!

Or you could get a tandem and let your girl do all the pedaling!
grin2.gif

Something with a steel frame and fairly light. Your body will thank you for the steel frame. They can be pretty lightly made.

Try a non road bike. If you don't need all out speed......tires with a little tread but not too much to keep drag down.

Anybody have opinions of the 29r concept? Anybody been on one?
I would not mind trying one out.

I have a 29er. Not a road bike, though. It's got front and rear suspension. AWESOME bike for tall people. A 29er hardtail would serve rationull well.

My suggestion for the type of riding you want to do would be the Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra. It's an aluminum frame with a headshock (front suspension built into the headtube), 700mm wheels, discs and the baddest of the bad flat black paint job.

Thanks for the input. After some test rides I ended up getting the linked bike (Kona Dew Deluxe). Pretty similar to the Bad Boy, although it doesn't have suspension (which I wasn't particularly interested in anyway).

Only been on one decent ride so far, but I'm liking the bike. Pretty comfortable, plenty of stopping power with the discs. Got a pretty good deal on it at a shop that's a 5 minute walk from work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back