How much damage was done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '04 Specialized HardRock Sport. I installed a new SRAM PG-850 cassette and a SRAM PC-890 chain on Friday. Today, I stupidly loaned the bike to my neighbor for a quick test ride as he wanted to check it out.

He doesn't understand how to properly shift. He used the 3rd chain ring (largest) and the 2nd cog (second largest) for about a 1/2 mile uphill ride.
06.gif

The bike still rides fine and the chain doesn't show any wear when I do the 12" trick, but how much damage was done?
shocked2.gif

Thanks!

I thought "cross-chaining" is as bad as a neutral drop at 50 mph on a car???

I would doubt any was done. "back in the day", before I knew better, I used to drive my old 18spd in whatever gear "felt" best for the terrain. I had ZERO regard for what front/rear sprocket combo was being used. I rode like that for close to a decade before I bought a motorcycle and it started collecting dust in my parent's garage......

I would say no damage to worry about.

A chain will not stretch that easily with a little bit of abuse like that. Back then when I knew nothing about properly shifting, I used to use every single combination and bike was still ok. It would take quite a bit of riding over time to damage it. Another thing I noticed is some people shift when they are not pedaling like driving a stick shift which I believe is not good for the derailer or the cable.

On a 24 speed bike I usually use 1st (smallest) with 1-3, 2nd (middle) with 3-6, and 3rd (largest) with 6-8. I find if use for example 1st and 5th, it rubs the front derailer which I try to avoid doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Yuk
This is new talk for me. How are you supposed to shift gears?

Basically to shift gears you operate the shifter on the handlebar. The shifter has a cable that runs down to the derailer which is the actual mechanism that shifts the gear. The derailer moves the chain so it can move from gear to gear. The gears are a set of cogs which are called the cassette (rear) and chainrings (front). Most mountain bikes have 3 gear for the front and 8 or 9 for the rear so you have 2 shifters, its like driving a semi truck I suppose. Of course if you have a single speed bike there is no shifter.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I thought "cross-chaining" is as bad as a neutral drop at 50 mph on a car???

If you do it all the time, you'll put unnecessary stress on the chain but a little bit isn't going to hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back