My Night-Cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a pic of what my Motobecane looked like in stock condition.

PICT0035.jpg

And here is how it now looks, decked out and ready for a season of rural North-East Alabama night riding.

DCP_0001.jpg

DCP_0002.jpg

DCP_0003.jpg

Reflective gear purchased from http://www.night-gear.com

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
...guy in beater "it was a movin around real quick like, I just know it was an alien"

Funny you should say that; One of the guys I ride with is even more lit up than me when he commutes to work pre-dawn on back country roads. He has a light that does a strobe-effect; it's really cool. He actually had a cop stop him last year, because some good ole boy caught a glimpse of him moving fast, and thought he'd seen a UFO, and called the cops. The cop thought it was hilarious, and so did my friend.

I also have a reflective vest that is so darned bright, my camera wouldn't take a picture of it with the flash on. It just washed the entire picture out with white light.

I also have a combo of (12) highly reflective white and orange stickers on my helmet. Suffice it to say, if I get hit while night riding, it will have been an intentional act.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I also have a reflective vest that is so darned bright, my camera wouldn't take a picture of it with the flash on. It just washed the entire picture out with white light.

I also have a combo of (12) highly reflective white and orange stickers on my helmet. Suffice it to say, if I get hit while night riding, it will have been an intentional act.

I've been debating lately, am I safer being seen or not being seen around here. I almost feel safer from drunks when they can't see me.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Originally Posted By: wavinwayne

I've been debating lately, am I safer being seen or not being seen around here. I almost feel safer from drunks when they can't see me.

Proven- drunks aim for lights. That's one reason a lot of stopped patrol cars get hit. They focus on the flash.

Ahh yes, I know my Southern brothers and their ability to jump to the most outlandish conclusions. It is darn funny that your buddy had the cops track him down and share that story.

I see you did some reflector balancing on the wheels. I should consider doing what you did myself. As the winter comes up I will need to be seen on the dreary days.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I see you did some reflector balancing on the wheels. I should consider doing what you did myself. As the winter comes up I will need to be seen on the dreary days.

Those are actually not reflectors. They are green LED flashing lights. I just didn't have them turned on for the picture. They are very neat. I had to install them the way I did because I have bladed spokes and they were designed to be used with traditional round spokes.

I'm taking the Night-Cycle to the Smokies this weekend for my yearly ride from Gatlinburg to Clingmans Dome. This year I'm planning a longer ride than I normally do. After I ascend to Clingman's Dome, I'm going to ride down the other side of the mountain to Cherokee, North Carolina, then turn around and ride back to Gatlinburg. 80 miles or so, but fully half of it is downhill.

I'm hoping my lights, reflectors and such will help me be more visible to the old coots driving their mammoth RV's up and down the mountain.

frown.gif
Didn't get to take the bike to the Smokies with me this past weekend. I caught a nasty stomach bug the day before we left; was sick the whole trip. I'll have to wait until Spring for my next Smokies hill climb. Shucks & Fodder!!!

rural.
alabama.
nighttime.
bicycle.

dude, those are 4 words I would NEVER want to put together. I can hear the banjo now...

Originally Posted By: mpvue
rural.
alabama.
nighttime.
bicycle.

dude, those are 4 words I would NEVER want to put together. I can hear the banjo now...

LOL.gif
It's not THAT rural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back