76 Guardol QLT® Motor Oil - Multigrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all I would like to say this is quite an informative site, glad I found it!

My question is about the lubricant from ConocoPhillips. I've done quite a few searches here to see if there were any analysis's done on this oil or if anyone had any experience with it. Unfortunately I haven't had any luck finding anything about it.
Anyway a friend of mine has been using it in his Diesels and asked me if I had heard about. Well I hadn't since I've been using Chevron Delo for about forty years with good luck so I haven't really looked into any other oils. I told him I couldn't really give him a very informed answer but told him I would check around, which led me to this site.

The oil in question is 76 Guardol QLT SAE 15W-40, one of the older API CI-4 formulations.

http://tds.econocophillips.com/catalogs/...rades%20TDS.pdf

Thanks in advance for the comments.

its a good oil in the range of delo and rotella BUT is normally sold in pails or drums so not much use here by Joe steet.
bruce

76 Guardol QLT SAE 15W-40 should be along the same lines of performance, minus the Extended Drain capabilities and low temp charachterisitics of the Royal Triton.

Originally Posted By: bruce381
its a good oil in the range of delo and rotella BUT is normally sold in pails or drums so not much use here by Joe steet.
bruce

My friend has been buying it by the gallon, Six to a case here in SoCal.....

latest tests of the standard specs by chevron showed it to be a poor performer compared to delo 400 LE (of course) AND Delvac 1300S. Rotella was pretty poor (relatively, of course) compared to the other two big names, too.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
latest tests of the standard specs by chevron showed it to be a poor performer compared to delo 400 LE (of course) AND Delvac 1300S. Rotella was pretty poor (relatively, of course) compared to the other two big names, too.

I recently purchased 5 gallons of this because it's the only CI-4+ oil that wasn't also CJ-4 that I could find in my area. Which test are you referring to? Do you think that the 76 Guardol QLT SAE 15W-40 is a bad oil to use?

Originally Posted By: turboocco
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I recently purchased 5 gallons of this because it's the only CI-4+ oil that wasn't also CJ-4 that I could find in my area. Which test are you referring to? Do you think that the 76 Guardol QLT SAE 15W-40 is a bad oil to use?

I'm doing an oil analysis study on CJ-4 and CI-4 oil. Some experts say with ULSD the CJ-4 oil is better even in an older diesel, we will see! I just dumped Valvoline Premium Blue CJ-4 and put in John Deere Plus 50 CI-4. Next will be Case IH No.1 Engine Oil CI-4, Then maybe Valvoline Preium Blue Classic CI-4+. Since I was told by Valvoline reps this weekend at the Diesel Drags that they are still making this CI-4+ version. I will post the results as soon as they come in with each sample. The only drawback is I will be changing the oil at 3k, because I just purchased the truck in June and want to make sure everything is OK with the engine. All sample's of oil will be using a Fleetguard StrataPore Filter. The best performing oil for my '01 5.9L Cummins will go in on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back