2006 6.0L Schaeffer 9000 - Lead number at 7 ppm

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 6.0L w/almost 36,000 miles on engine.

My last two oil changes have shown higher lead - 7 ppm. The previous numbers had all been 2 ppm. This last oil change, I had two separate labs run the analysis just to see if the numbers were consistent. They were - 7 ppm and 6 ppm.

Is 7 ppm lead indicative of a developing bearing problem or is it jst the high side of normal? If so, is there anything to do other than "keep an eye on it". What would be considered an "action level" where it should be taken in to be looked at?

Oil - Schaeffer 9000 5W-40
Oil Change Date 9/11/2008
Miles on Truck 34690
Miles on Oil 4613
Oil change # 9th

Aluminum........3.......1
Chromium........1.......1
Iron............26......24
Copper..........3.......3
Lead............7.......6
Tin.............0.......0
Molybdenum......283.....259
Nickel..........0.......0
Manganese.......0.......0
Silver..........0.......0
Titanium........0.......0
Potassium.......3.......1
Boron...........7.......3
Silicon.........7.......9
Sodium..........5.......5
Calcuim.........3689....3400
Magnesium.......8.......10
Phosphorous.....1312....1173
Zinc............1453....1343
Barium..........0.......0
Vanadium................0
Antimony................41
SUS vis at 210 F 69.6
cSt at 100 C....12.85...13
Flashpoint......390
Fuel............2....... Antifreeze......0
Water...........0....... Insolubles......0.2.....

Last edited:
First - I appreciate this being moved to the proper forum!

Second -

I am not too concerned yet. Mainly cautious since it appeared to be a "real" change. However, I have had several different folks tell me various things:

1)Schaeffer oil seemed to result in higher lead than their previous oil (skeptical of this, but they sent me their UOA).

2) Stanadyne can attack bearings w/ fuel dilution (I have been using Stanadyne for 30k miles, but I did just get a 2% fuel dilution number - although the repeat sample did not show it)

3) My CCV re-route (to a frame rail filter and back to the intake) could be backpressuring the crankcase and causing the higher lead (the high lead did show up after the ccv re-route .... hmmmm)

My 6.0L powerstroke is really running good - just didn't want to cause my own problems .... Thought I would check w/ ya'll ....

Your about 1/2 of the normal limits during an OCI so 7 should not be an issue. Second, your still in 40 weight territory and this is also a good sign. You might keep an eye on how much you are idleing the engine. Stanadye is an excellent fuel treatment and I would not worry about this. It may very well be your engine has settled into the area of ppm of lead that will exist from this point on.

Your numbers for a new engine 36k show no need for alarm. Try the lower ash CJ4. This lead streak could settle down in time. What do other engines like yours show for Pb numbers at apx the same mileage.

What largecar said.
Do the 6.0L tend to run a little higher wear than others?
This is still an adolescent engine. You gotta long ways to go before any alarms to go off. I run this out to 7k and begin to trend.

I appreciate the replies! Good to hear ya'll think it is still low! I had seen 2 ppm or less in my 5 previous UOA's.

My Forum Buddy had lead ranging from 5 ppm (at a 4k interval) to 11 ppm or 12 ppm (at a 8k to 9k interval), all the way to 30 ppm at a 12k interval.

His experience is what was getting me to wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back