09 Tacoma manual trans fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've a new 09 2WD Tacoma with 4 Cyl & 5 Speed manual trans and feel the trans leaves much to be disired as far as quietness. Lots of rattling & clunking. This trans uses a 85/90 Wt. fluid I believe. Any suggestions on replacement fluids to quiet things down? I've had good luck with Amsoil Severe Duty 75/110 for rear differentials although I'm not sure if this would be a good manual trans fluid replacement.
What say ye?
Motoretro

I just went through this issue on my 07 Tacoma earlier this year. The transmission is a notchy box, for sure. I used MT90 based on the advice of many. I noticed a reduction in gear noise right away. I was also able to shift into first gear while the truck was rolling. Shift quality improved somewhat after about 5000 miles. I don't think there is a magic bullet for this problem.

Last edited:
Pablo,

Love my new Tacoma, but the transmission is like John McCain, a bit stiff. The 5 speed manual on the 4-cyl tends to break in by 10K according to the folks on Taco forums. Like the OP states it is a bit whiny. The shifter is notchy, but I doubt a fluid change would help that. Was Thinking that a dump of the factory fill at around 10k would be a good thing. How much of this fluid is needed for the tranny?

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
"Love my new Tacoma, but the transmission is like John McCain, a bit stiff."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny, but totally inapropriate.

I am a McCain supporter, the pun was directed toward his canned answers not his physical disabilites. OMG this place has become so PC.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
The the equivalent Amsoil product is Amsoil MTG

If you want to go a step up in viscosity: Amsoil SVT 75W-110

Can the SVT product be used in this transmission safely? While I believe the increased Viscosity seems like it would help with the "rattling and Clunking", I'm concerned about the ability of the syncros to work as intended, especially in cold weather.
Motoretro

It's always best to use a manual transmission specific lubricant as the friction modifiers are best intended for that application. Using a differential lube would be a compromise.

Thanks to all on the Tacoma's transmission fluid. I believe I'll try the Redline MT90 first. My Tacoma has only 1000 miles on it and it has been loud since mile 1, so I feel a drain & fill of OEM fluid at 10K would be a waste of my time. Things were actually worse at first until I had TSB done which basically replaced rear differential and added some insulation. This took care of some gear noise which perhaps had been masking the tranny's noises a bit. Will update once fluids are changed.
Motoretro

"I am a McCain supporter, the pun was directed toward his canned answers not his physical disabilites."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

How could I have missed something so obvious?

I'm having second thoughts on the MT90. After reading the product description I feel something with a thicker viscosity would better meet the needs of a trans which is very loose sounding, Gears and shafts rattling around like a 1949 School Bus.
Motoretro

I have an '05 Tacoma 4cyl, 5speed and run MT-90. My trans was never noisy, but chaing to MT90 made a world of difference with cold shifting. I did have a rattle that would happen when easing off of the accelerator around 50mph. Turns out the rear diff pinion angle was the culprit and adding a camper shell fixed the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back