Tecra 500 CDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use that 12 year old laptop as a diagnostic tool (Vag-Com) for my 12 year old Audi. The computer has been abused and stored poorly (has been rattling around in the trunk for 5 years), not used very often (once a year), and finally its battery is complete toast.

When I use the Tecra, I power it through the the car's power outlet. Ever since the battery has died, I get a message that the battery has died when I start the computer up. Then it runs a self-diagnostic and works fine.

Can I remove the rechargeable, or does it have to remain installed for some weird reason? I prefer removing the battery before it starts leaking.

Also, is there another battery that I should know about? I know my Mac computers have a small lithium battery.

PS: I run Windows 98 on that beast.

take the battery out and try... run the experiment. most computers have a small button cell of some sort to keep the clock going. This is why you can remove power or the main battery and still keep date/time.

Last edited:
Yes, try it.. I'd be willing to bet that it has an internal battery that keeps the cmos settings intact. Every computer I've seen since the 80's has one somewhere...

A little OT, but interesting nonetheless...

I had a computer here at work that was left unplugged for a few months... I plugged it in the other day to power it up and no power. I thought the power supply was the issue... nope, tried a different PS. Weird cuz the motherboard has a power led and it was lit, but no response from the switch... I left it plugged in and the next morning, the darn thing was powered on!

Only thing I could think of is that the little battery had died and once it charged back up, the motherboard was happy again. I had to reset all of the cmos settings though.. I had never seen that in my lifetime of working with computers though...

A Mac (at least an older model) will not function properly when the small internal PRAM battery dies. When changing the battery, the PRAM needs to be reset via a tiny button on the logic board.

A search reveals the Tecra contains a 3 cell Nickel Metal Hydride bacup battery, which "may require technician to install." I guess I may bust the case open and take a look.

I'll see what happens if I start the Tecra up without the main battery. A replacement battery costs over $150.

I just remembered that I could use my Nokia N800 as diagnostic tool, if I were to get Carman and a OBD-II scan tool with Bluetooth.

Sounds all very John Titoresque, travelling back in time to get a old IBM PC that can talk "mainframe" to the computers that died in 2036.

I'm back from the future. Now I must go back, or is that forward?

I plugged the Tecra into the car again, and it started up fine without a systems check. Since it weighs 20 pounds or so, with probably not much useful life left, I think I'll get myself a USB (under $60) or a Bluetooth adaptor (kinda pricey at around $160) and use that with free diagnostic software that I can run on my Nokia internet tablet.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I got an Apple IIe right here!

Oh man!!! I've got an old "PLUS" at my parent's place. As well as an old Mac workstation with the "portrait" screen.

You can have my Atari 400.
35.gif

Thanks! I have however mothballed the Tecra. I use now my tiny internet tablet for car diagnostics. The Techra has joined the Apple IIe in my collection of curios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back