Not An Elf In Sight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I come back for a visit to my old oil site and there is not an Elf to be seen. Don't tell me they are no longer in the GC business. I heard they had moved on to making soccer jerseys...I guess it is true. Greetings all. Der Elfmeister is headed back to the shadows.

Woah, how have you been pscholte? I haven't heard from you in years!

GC seems to be winding down around here, everyone's hyped about Pennzoil Platinum and RLI now.

Times Change...for awhile, probably a LONG while, GC was one of THE topics on the board. Oh well, I still have a massive stock so it will hang with me for awhile...Cheers!

No, have moved on to an Infinity FX-35. My wife needed to "carry stuff." Love it though.

Not to analyze it too much, but when GC first started to be talked about, people were still suspicious of 20-weight oils, so the thickness of GC was seen as a good thing.

As gas prices have gone up, and 20-weights have proven themselves to be good oils, and more cars are spec'ing them, GC has become a very 'old looking' oil - a very thick 30-weight for cars that need a thick oil. So its fallen out of favour.

Still an excelent oil, though, no doubt about that! And yeah, as Dom says, in Canada, at least, there is still loads of it on the shelves....

Originally Posted By: pscholte
PS It has the Elixer in it though!

The chalice from the palace has the brew that is true!

Ah, you're back. Better late than never, eh?
wink.gif

Thanks to all of you for the kind welcomes...good to see so many of you still hanging around the board. I still have an ample supply of the good stuff too. Try as I might, with three cars to put it in...still am making only a small dent in the inventory. Guess it had gotten a little high. ;-) Just did an oil change today. You all will have to fill me in on any major excitement that has occurred while I have been offline.

PS addyguy, I understand about the 20 weights making GC look a little long in the tooth. I notice Castrol Edge comes in a 5W-20 and that sounds really appealing. Wow! Never thought I would ever say that!

Best regards...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: pscholte
PS It has the Elixer in it though!

The chalice from the palace has the brew that is true!

Ah, you're back. Better late than never, eh?
wink.gif

Thanks Mori...your quote takes me back...the Elves always liked "The Court Jester."

Welcome back pscholte, nice to hear back from you.

I am still stocked up on GC "Green" which will last me for a really LONG time.
banana2.gif

I really do miss all the "ELIXER" talk though.
crazy2.gif

08.gif

R'eeeeee---(it is really hard to come up with a nickname for r961161)

I will tell you that the days during the GC craze were some of the most fun I have ever enjoyed. For the most part, people seemed to enjoy the Elfish silliness and I thoroughly enjoyed being in the middle of it. I think it is going to be interesting to see where car and oil enthusiasm goes from here what with the environmental and financial situations we face. That being said, as long as there are people who are willing to take some fun and run with it, BITOG won't fade. I just wish we could latch onto something new...not 'cause I don't like GC (I still have more than probably all the Autozones in town) but because we need some new inspiration. It really is NOT the same without Jürgen, Hansi und Wolfgang hanging around. As I said earlier they have gone into the soccer [you know the football that is REALLY played with the feet] jersey business and the oil forum is not the same without them.

Cheers!

Paul

Last edited:
Well, I'll be darn. I saw the subject "Not An Elf In Sight" and wondered could it possibly be, and sure enough it is. Hi pscholte, how the heck have you been? The newer generation just don't realize how much fun we had with the Elfmiester. Glad to see you are doing well.
cheers3.gif

Paul:

Great to hear from you again. When you wandered away, BITOG lost one of its most colorful and valued contributors. Please come back and stay for a while!

Look how much has changed. I've got an "A" after my username now (vision of the scene in Star Wars where Darth and ObiWan confront one another, and Darth says, ". . . now I am the master. . ." (;)). Seriously though, you've contributed much to the character of this place, and we'd be very happy if you'd visit more often. BTW, J.K. is a full Colonel now, and I'm about to retire. I'm sure you recall what I'm talking about...
cheers3.gif

Oh, BTW, I still have a pretty good stash of the Green, but alas, my car and the wife's aren't all that well suited to it, though the Prius, now driven by my son, likes the stuff. If you happen to want a couple dozen quarts, just let me know.
wink.gif

ek....,

Good to hear from you. Thanks for the offer, but I am WELL STOCKED with the results of Elvish due diligence. Congratulations to JK. The world has certainly taken an interesting path since last we chatted. It is going to be very interesting to see where automobile enthusiasm and interest in motor oil will head from here given all that is transpiring economically. Needless to say, we are in a position where "we [probably] can't go 'home' again" at BITOG or otherwise. I do think the world is a sadder place with the Elves no longer tinkering tribologicslly. But who knows, maybe a new "challenge" or "discovery" will bring them back. Cheers

Paul

PS Congratulations on your "A." I always believed if you studied hard you would excel in oil site management!
11.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back