Where are my group IV and V 502/505s at???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I contacted a few companies

Mobil
Castrol
Kendell

And all wouldn't disclose any information about the formulation of there oil....

I was thinking about amsoil... but its not on the list.

Elf seems like good choice but people who live in europe where the company is based out of don't even like it.

Royal purple has a 5w40, but again.... they are not approved.

Anyone know any good approved 502/505s that are POA or Ester?

BTW, I have a 06mkv GTI 2.0t

Last edited:
why? Do you think having a group IV or V basestock is THAT much more valuable?

Likely youll need to go mailorder, but you are, in mnay ways falling for a misconception.

Do some searching and reading on here. There is a LOT of information on that topic and on direct injected VW engines.

You may want to consider RLI biosyn.

Trust me , you do not get a better oil for your car than Total Quartz 9000 5w40. It meets VW 502 and 505 , as well as Porsche and BMW LL01. Very high TBN ( 10ish )and great for cold starts.

Does nor shear like Mobil 1. Its the preffered oil here in SA for the GTi 5 by the GTi Club of SA

Oh and its a Group 4.

Trust me on this. All the guys running 300BHP to 380BHP Golf 5 GTi's use no other oil

Last edited:
Royal purple is a Group IV(4) base.

Redline, Motul, and Neo are group V(5) ESTER based.

I use and Really like Redline Motor Oil

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Likely youll need to go mailorder, but you are, in mnay ways falling for a misconception.

Do some searching and reading on here. There is a LOT of information on that topic and on direct injected VW engines.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Ive been running M1 for about 2 changes now... and now I keep hearing rumors that it isn't POA base any longer. Don't get me wrong, the oil is good. I would go through a quart of syntec 5w40 every 2k or so oem intervals are stated at every 10k. I thought my PCV was going bad, or i had some unknown oil leak.

Ever since I switched to M1 no more of that. I plan on sending it down for analysis after the next change. I'm really kinda skeptical, after I posted that M1 0w40 was green... I'm thinking, yea they probably changed the formula.

I just kinda want the best of the best in my motor. Was thinking about switching to GC... but they changed the formula so I've heard.

What are the misconceptions?

Originally Posted By: blaze1
I contacted a few companies

Mobil
Castrol
Kendell

And all wouldn't disclose any information about the formulation of there oil....

I was thinking about amsoil... but its not on the list.

Elf seems like good choice but people who live in europe where the company is based out of don't even like it.

Royal purple has a 5w40, but again.... they are not approved.

Anyone know any good approved 502/505s that are POA or Ester?

BTW, I have a 06mkv GTI 2.0t

Total Ineo MC3 is 502/505.00/505.01 and is PAO based

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Royal purple is a Group IV(4) base.

Redline, Motul, and Neo are group V(5) ESTER based.

I use and Really like Redline Motor Oil

Motul uses different base stocks depending on application-- for the oils that meet 502/505:
Specific 505.01 (and 502.00/505.00) is Group III
8100 E-Tech is Ester based
8100 X-Cess is PAO based

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Read RI_RS4's thread. Seems like something I should try.

I don't know yet, if I should believe in the Kool-Aid Amsoil puts out about NOACK volatility, but it seems like the volatility of the oil has a large impact on the oil consumption on the 2.0t (BDY) motor. My 2.0t drinks about 1 quart of VW502.00 5w40 oil every 5,000 miles. It's almost doubled when I use a 504 (5w30) oil.

Interestingly enough, RLI does push the benefits of its superior NOACK performance (iirc, it's even lower than Amsoil DEO).

So, maybe it will reduce my oil drinking problem of the 2.0t motor....as well as the front PCV fix kit.

Originally Posted By: KA426
What spec does Mobil 1 0w-40 meet?

VW 502.00/505.00/503.01
MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
BMW Longlife 01
Porsche Approval List 2002
GM-LL-A-025 (gasoline)
GM-LL-B-025 (diesel)
ACEA A3/B3
A3/B4
API SM/SL/SJ/CF

Hate to revive my old thread

but what about filters...

I'm running the stp s9911 I think, no problems yet

I heard the elemects are made my mann, but the other compenents are diferent.... whats the deal?

yeah, there is a separate BITOG area for oil filter discussion. You may want to post that question over there. I bought an STP oil filter for a BMW in a pinch, and it was made in China and was no where near as well-made as a Mann filter. I doubt that any components are made by Mann unless the whole filter is.

+1 on the RLI oil for a direct injection gas engine!

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
blaze1 - Rumours abound. M1 is a PAO product - some also have a Group 5 content.

Has that been established as a fact?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back