Royal Purple 0W-40 - any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know RP usually gets a strong reaction here, but I'm just curious what people think of RP now offering a 0W-40 grade. Spec-wise, it looks almost exactly like M1 0W-40, so we know what they 'set their sites' on in developing the oil. Take a look:

http://www.royalpurple.com/prod-pdfs/motor-oil-ps.pdf

In a way, I don't understand this move, as they already have a 5W-40 grade, although it is a fair bit thicker. Would make more sense to me to invest in a 0W-30 grade, as their 5W-30 has lousy cold-pumping numbers....

I didnt know they made a 0w40. Looks very similar to M1 0w-40 on paper. It's probably a good oil I'm sure. RP's claim to fame is Synerlec, their proprietary ester based AW additive.

I also never realized that RP oils all have a 11-12 Tbn.

Hmmmm.....

Quote:
Note: Engine oil’s solvency cleans wear metals and
deposits left by previous oils. These wear metals and
deposits can cause abnormally high values on used
oil analysis until the engine is clean

I first 'heard about it' when JohnBrowning came on this site a few months ago bragging he had managed to get a free case of it for 'testing'. People criticized this move, and I haven't seen much of him since....

RP only just updated their PDS to show this oil, and I haven't seen it in the stores near me that sell RP, so its just trickling into the market now.

I 'suspect' it will behave just like M1 0W-40 - shear down to a high 30-weight after a short time in service, and stay there for a bit. Looks like a good oil!

Originally Posted By: buster
I wasn't aware that RP are API cert.

Yup. Mostly SL with a couple SM

I`ve got their 15W40 in my car right now for my winter fill (I usually use a 20W50 most of the year). All I`ve got to say is that so far it`s a smooth running oil! I used M1 15W50 for years,but it seemed like it started to run a bit sluggish. I tried a few 20W50s and Valvoline VR1 was the best of the bunch. My car pulled like a beast with that oil. Same thing with the Royal Purple 15W40........coming home from work today I did a 3rd gear pull and swung the rear of the car sideways. So far I`m really impressed! Next summer I`ll be trying a sump full of RP 20W50 and see how it goes.

I used the RP 5W-40 from 10k to 30k in my Pilot (on a bet with fellow mechanics who were disapointed when it didn't self destruct) and had good UOA results.

I was going to start using RTS 5W-40 in the Civic at 210k because it is still using about a quart of SSO every 3k like it did with the RLI 0W-20. But I may try the RP 0W-40 for the next 10k and then the RTS 5W-40 before going back to conventional oils.

I found out today that my local NAPA store is carrying Royal Purple. There was 5W30 Royal Purple there. I did not check to see if it was SM rated.

If I used it I would have to change my ways and change oil once a year or at most twice a year. I would probably have to go once a year and just adding oil and changing oil filters when necessary. My car does not leak oil. Would it be worth putting Royal Purple in a car with almost 70,000 miles?

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I found out today that my local NAPA store is carrying Royal Purple. There was 5W30 Royal Purple there. I did not check to see if it was SM rated.

If I used it I would have to change my ways and change oil once a year or at most twice a year. I would probably have to go once a year and just adding oil and changing oil filters when necessary. My car does not leak oil. Would it be worth putting Royal Purple in a car with almost 70,000 miles?

If you have an O`Reilly`s there,they usually sell RP for about $1 less a quart. Napa`s always more expensive here than any other auto parts store here.

In N CO its at every autoparts store except Carquest. If you order online partsamerica its 1$ cheaper/qrt too. I use it in the EVO, just about all its ever had.

Originally Posted By: Mystic

My local Walmart carries RP 5W-30. It's rated SL. The price is $6.72 plus tax.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Wish walmart here carried it :^(

Wonder if Walmart can special order oils?????

Some Wal-Marts do carry RP. However, they are not an authorized RP retailer. They are getting it some other way.

Here is the list of API oils from RP...

NOTE - info obtained directly from http://www.api.org/aboutoilgas/motoroil/

ROYAL PURPLE 0W-40 SM/CF
ROYAL PURPLE 10W-30 CG-4,CH-4,CI-4/SL
ROYAL PURPLE 10W-30 SL*
ROYAL PURPLE 10W-40 CG-4,CH-4,CI-4/SL
ROYAL PURPLE 15W-40 CG-4,CH-4,CI-4,CJ-4/SM**
ROYAL PURPLE 15W-40 CG-4,CH-4,CI-4/SL**
ROYAL PURPLE 20W-50 CF/SJ
ROYAL PURPLE 30 CF,CF-2/SJ
ROYAL PURPLE 40 CF,CF-2/SJ
ROYAL PURPLE 50 CF,CF-2/SJ
ROYAL PURPLE 5W-20 SL*
ROYAL PURPLE 5W-30 SL*
ROYAL PURPLE 5W-40 SM/CF

Others:
ROYAL PURPLE DD 40 CF-2
ROYAL PURPLE LONG RIDER 10W-30 CG-4,CH-4,CI-4/SL
ROYAL PURPLE LONG RIDER 15W-40 CG-4,CH-4,CI-4/SL**
ROYAL PURPLE LONG RIDER 40 CF,CF-2
ROYAL PURPLE LONG RIDER DD 40 CF-2
ROYAL PURPLE LONG RIDER PLUS 10W-30 CI-4/SL
ROYAL PURPLE LONG RIDER PLUS 15W-40 CI-4/SL

* - Energy Conserving
** - CI-4 Plus

I`ve got their 15W40 in my car right now for my winter fill (I usually use a 20W50 most of the year). All I`ve got to say is that so far it`s a smooth running oil! I used M1 15W50 for years,but it seemed like it started to run a bit sluggish. I tried a few 20W50s and Valvoline VR1 was the best of the bunch. My car pulled like a beast with that oil. Same thing with the Royal Purple 15W40........coming home from work today I did a 3rd gear pull and swung the rear of the car sideways. So far I`m really impressed! Next summer I`ll be trying a sump full of RP 20W50 and see how it goes.

yeah, was definitely the oil that made the car slide sideways
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
coming home from work today I did a 3rd gear pull and swung the rear of the car sideways. So far I`m really impressed! Next summer I`ll be trying a sump full of RP 20W50 and see how it goes.

yeah, was definitely the oil that made the car slide sideways
smirk2.gif

To be fair, he did state those two facts as separate statements.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back