Anyone else having FireFox trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using FF for a few years and NEVER a problem. Bought a new notebook recently with Vista, which is a first for me, and FireFox continues to encounter an error in Windows and must close. It will work fine for several hours or sometimes only several minutes. Opera and IE (even the latest IE8 beta version) never encounter errors on this same machine.

Is there something in Vista that doesn't play well with FF? I never had a problem when I was using XP? I am using v3.0.3 which is the latest.
21.gif

This laptop is new and has no junk on it. It barely has any software or other files on it yet. I am using the Windows resident firewall and Sunbelt Personal FW, along with Avira free AV.

Glad it's working well for you. Don't want to give up on FF, but if IE works error free, I may have too.
frown.gif

So far, even beyond this current problem, I prefer XP over Vista.

Originally Posted By: wcbcruzer
Try updating firefox. Maybe Microsoft is trying to eliminate it.

FF updated itself earlier today to the current version, which is 3.0.3.

I'll head over to some Mozilla forums and do some research on this.

Thanks for suggestions though guys.

Off topic slightly: Anyone else miss XP?

Last edited:
I detest internet explorer. I had some issue today with not being able to type for a few minutes with a bank account number with firefox. it resolved itself. I noticed when I reopened firefox, it says it updated itself.

FF should work fine on Vista. How is it crashing? Does the Mozilla Crash Reporter come up and let you send info about the crash to Mozilla? If so, it's a good idea to let it send the report.

Might try an uninstall and reinstall. If you go that route, open a file browsing window, go to %APPDATA%, and delete FF's folder there ("Firefox" or "Mozilla Firefox" IIRC) -- it might be a profile problem.

Note that a good way to get your bookmarks, history, etc transferred to your new computer is to copy the aforementioned appdata folder from your old machine to the new one.

Originally Posted By: rationull
FF should work fine on Vista. How is it crashing? Does the Mozilla Crash Reporter come up and let you send info about the crash to Mozilla? If so, it's a good idea to let it send the report.

Might try an uninstall and reinstall. If you go that route, open a file browsing window, go to %APPDATA%, and delete FF's folder there ("Firefox" or "Mozilla Firefox" IIRC) -- it might be a profile problem.

Note that a good way to get your bookmarks, history, etc transferred to your new computer is to copy the aforementioned appdata folder from your old machine to the new one.

The error notification is sometimes "handled" by Windows (90% of the time). The other 10% of the time FF dialogue box pops up giving me the opportunity to send a report to the Mozilla folks. The only other problem that I have had consistently with Vista is the "WMI Servi" error upon Vista startup that really doesn't affect anything.

The one good thing about the FF error is that when it gives me the opportunity to restart a "saved session", it always goes right back to where it crashed, so it is really only a nuisance at this point.

I will try doing what you suggest. Thanks much.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Post back if it works! The "saved session" feature is definitely a nice addition in newer versions of FF. Don't remember if it started in 2 or 3 but it's saved me trouble many, many times.

My 3.0.x FF crashes whenever I'm linked to a PDF file. I'm using XP. I can open PDF files with Acrobat Reader 8.0 without issue, but every linked file crashes ..or at least more often than not. It all started with the upgrade to FF 3.x

There is a residual Acrobat error page that pops up some times. It says that the file is damage and can't be recovered i/o error (or something like that). I loath IE ..but find that I must use it for PDF links.

Firefox is recently sucking my CPU dry, 80% plus useage, depending on pages. At those times, Acrobat plays up, taking ages to load up.

Gary, i have the same problem on my desk top, but on my lap top it works great.

on my desk top when i try to open pdf files from my email program it crashes, then i have to use ie

It has crashed on me a couple of times on XP. It's infrequent though, and I haven't paid enough attention to notice any pattern.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Been using FF for a few years and NEVER a problem. Bought a new notebook recently with Vista, which is a first for me, and FireFox continues to encounter an error in Windows and must close. It will work fine for several hours or sometimes only several minutes. Opera and IE (even the latest IE8 beta version) never encounter errors on this same machine.

Is there something in Vista that doesn't play well with FF? I never had a problem when I was using XP? I am using v3.0.3 which is the latest.
21.gif

This laptop is new and has no junk on it. It barely has any software or other files on it yet. I am using the Windows resident firewall and Sunbelt Personal FW, along with Avira free AV.

Had minor issues with Firefox 2.0.0.16 After upgrading to 2.0.0.17 last week, those issues went away.

FF2 is now as stable as it has always been prior to r. 16 in Vista environment.

AFAICT, FF3 doesn't seem very stable currently. I'm giving it 6 more months before I re-evaluate it's suitability of use on my system.

Originally Posted By: Iain
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

21.gif

Had minor issues with Firefox 2.0.0.16 After upgrading to 2.0.0.17 last week, those issues went away.

FF2 is now as stable as it has always been prior to r. 16 in Vista environment.

AFAICT, FF3 doesn't seem very stable currently. I'm giving it 6 more months before I re-evaluate it's suitability of use on my system.

UPDATE**UPDATE

Finally figured out what is/was going on with FF in Vista. It will run for awhile and have these random errors and shut down due to something called "Data Execution Protection" or DEP. I tried to tell DEP to allow FF as an exception but Vista says I cannot do this.

At least now I know what is going on with it. This DEP is [censored] me off though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back