What oil for lexus is350?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A week ago I got a 06 IS350. I did some searching to see what oil you guys recommend for it, but I only found 7 results on the site for the is350, and all were mentioning it in passing.

Weekly driving includes:
5 trips 12 miles each way, mostly highway.
3 trips 18 miles each way, mostly highway.

I'll probably change the oil at the 4-5k.

It has a timing chain which I'm very thankful for since I just changed the belt on my wifes quad cam VUE v6.

The manual originally recommended 5w30. They've since issued a TSB saying 5w20 may be used.

I'm inclined to use PP 5w30.

It had an oil change right before I got it, but I don't know what they put in it. So I'll probably only let it go 3k or so.

So what do you think? Its a 306 HP v6.

Thanks!
Joe

Id go with Mobil 1 or PP. Given the kind of driving you show there, Id be inclined to go with the 5w-20, unless you drive hard...

Good luck with the IS. I loved it at the auto show the last few years. It didnt have good enough interior space efficiency for me, given its exterior size because it was so nice and plush yet functional and comfortatble... But tight (i.e. Im too tall and likely a bit overweight at this point too), but oooh, it was nice. Maybe someday Ill get one of those, it is on my short list.

Last edited:
I convinced my friend to run his IS350 on Amsoil ACD 30wt like I'm running in the TL. I'm sure it's not for everyone but in our climate it's doing just fine. Can't tell a difference over the factory fill and with the way he drives, he needs all the protection he can get.

Thanks for the replies!

From what I've read here, the reason to use 5w20 over 5w30 is for a small gain in mileage. I might try it once, but if I don't see a mileage gain, I'll probably go back to 5w30.

Since the debate seems to be about whether or not 5w20 is as safe as 5w30, (i.e. either they're equal or 5w30 is safer) I don't see a reason to use it unless the mileage is better.

right?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
unless you drive hard...

It depends on what the definition of hard is
banana2.gif

seriously though, no. The EPA mileage rating is 21/28. On the two hour trip home from getting it I got 29.2. On my mix of driving since I'm getting 24.4. So I don't think that can qualify as hard driving.

Although turning onto the highway by my house, it sure it is fun to feel it pull.

I think that the "debate" on the safety of 20wt for most passenger cars is moot. I think its been well established that it is safe where prescribed, and not a big deal.

Of course, any oil, thick or thin, being suitable for your engine is a call that you need to make via UOA.

JMH

Hey Joe
Just got back from a LEXUS SHOWCASE event. They have most models and let you drive them as hard as you can (on a closed course). Lucky for me they weren't too busy this afternoon and I got 4 laps in the IS350 and 1 lap in the 460. I too, loved the pull of the 350 once you hit about 4000 rpm-feels like it's ready to spin the tires when it comes on the cam.
Nice ride good luck with it. Almost forgot to mention, I was able to drive the car at the limit-then bells started to go off-I think they were warning tones that you are about to lose the car in the cones.
Steve

5w20 is the way to go if the engine was built for 5w20 then use it bearing clearances depend on it and the bearings will definatly run cooler. 5w20 also flows faster when hot,,

I do not think Lexus even states to use 5w-30 anylonger. This has been updated over 1 year ago.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
5w20 is the way to go if the engine was built for 5w20 then use it bearing clearances depend on it and the bearings will definatly run cooler. 5w20 also flows faster when hot,,

I agree. But here's my delima... The manual and oil cap say 5w30. So it was designed for 5w30. It is a technical service bulletin that has come out since then that says 5w20 is ok. 5w20 must be ok, but it is not what the was originally designed for, or it would have said that to begin with.

But you're all suggesting 5w20, so I guess I'll surrender to the peer pressure :)

Originally Posted By: ksJoe

I agree. But here's my delima... The manual and oil cap say 5w30. So it was designed for 5w30. It is a technical service bulletin that has come out since then that says 5w20 is ok. 5w20 must be ok, but it is not what the was originally designed for, or it would have said that to begin with.

But you're all suggesting 5w20, so I guess I'll surrender to the peer pressure :)

The same engineers who designed it for 5w-30 are now saying 5w-20 is fine and have made a promulgation to that effect. I have this same scenario with buddy's white Ford Ranger but his cap actually says 5w-20 but since old bad habits die hard, he says 20 wt won't work even though those same 30 wt engineers have 20 wt on his cap and ofcourse have issued an update stating the 20 wt will work. I'm not a petroleum or mechanical engineer but I've been using 20 wt on my 2006 where in 2005, 30 wt was recommended and it's the same engine and so far in nearly 55000 miles, I've had nothing but smiles for the miles and no weird noises or abnormal occurrences at all coming from the engine bay. Hey, if my car goes the same 250-300k miles as an identical car running 30 wt, will the naysayers finally come to an accord? yes, stay positive, yes!

Last edited:
A friend of mine recently bought a 2008 Lexus ES350. I was curious what the Lexus dealer would use for the first oil change, and i was surprised to see it was Castrol GTX 10w30.

This is NE Texas however so we don't ever see anything below zero *F, and seldom get below 20*F, so it's not a big deal, i was just surprised to see them using 10w30 instead of the owners manual suggested 5w30.

For the type of use the car gets (less than 10K a year, and multiple short trips) i would think 5w30 would be better, but i suspect the engine will last a very long time regardless of what oil is used.

Last edited:

You could use a 0w-20 as I do in my Es350 in the south and be 100% fine. Toyota also says not to use a throttle body cleaner but they make one. Do not put much faith in manuals...

What exactly are you expecting to gain from a 20wt?

And to the people that post the bearing clearance [censored], for the 100th time, show me of any car that changed it's clearances to go to a 20wt. Every engine I've looked up has identical clearances from it's original 30wt recommendation to it's new 20wt recommendation.

for me, a smoother engine, better MPG etc. I would never use 5w anything anymore.

Originally Posted By: dargo
for me, a smoother engine, better MPG etc. I would never use 5w anything anymore.

In AZ? Are you serious? Maybe in Flagstaff but Tempe/Tucson/Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale it's hot as [censored].

... It is a technical service bulletin that has come out since then that says 5w20 is ok. 5w20 must be ok, but it is not what the was originally designed for, or it would have said that to begin with.

Hold on, let's look at this for a moment -- and perhaps penetrate some of the insane fog that has descended over this oil choice question since Ford and Honda took the 20 wt plunge, almost TEN years ago now. First off, remember that designers of things that will be used by a wide range of people, in a wide range of circumstances, are designed with ranges in mind, not specific values, for virtually all variables. This would most certainly include motor oils for cars that will be driven by humans ranging from intellectuals to idiots, living in places as diverse as Anchorage AK and Miami FL. On top of that, SAE viscosities are defined in terms of ranges themselves, not specific viscosities. Beyond all this, even the engineers at the worst car company in the world (whatever that might be), are going to build wide "safe zones" around parameters such as oil vis just so an idiot in Anchorage who makes an oil choice more appropriate for Miami won't instantly destroy his engine.

Second (or fifth or whatever...), irrespective of whatever range they designed for, without doubt, each maker who is now spec-ing 20 wt oils in engines that previously called for a 30, must have done a testing program to ensure that the new spec was safe and sensible. I don't know this for fact, but think about it, it must be true. If not, the first guy who has an engine melt down on a newly spec-ed oil WILL win a massive law suit against the car maker, should there actually be a fight over the oil used. These guys all tested the stuff, and would not be recommending it if it was not provably safe for customer use.

I've been testing the 20 wt waters myself, finally, and though I don't have any UOA yet, I'm pleasantly surprised so far. My TCH sounds great and performs wonderfully on the two 20s I've had in it so far (M1 0w-20 and HDS 5w-20). Even at full throttle, the engine sounds great. The wife's 07 Avalon, back spec-ed for 20 wt is next on the list for a 20 wt experiment. Only big question for me now is what to do with all that green GC I still have on hand...
wink.gif

Next, don't forget that Ford and Honda have been on 20 wts for over eight years now. If this stuff wasn't going to work out, we'd have seen mass disaster by now. But we have not. Please, one of you 20-wt-haters, show me the secret junkyard full of cars that died early deaths because their owners used 20 wt oils and they proved too thin to protect.

Seriously, use the stuff and don't worry about it. Do a UOA to verify your own circumstances if you need full peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
What exactly are you expecting to gain from a 20wt?

And to the people that post the bearing clearance [censored], for the 100th time, show me of any car that changed it's clearances to go to a 20wt. Every engine I've looked up has identical clearances from it's original 30wt recommendation to it's new 20wt recommendation.

Well, the flip side of this would be to ask, "what exactly are you losing when you use a 20 wt oil"?

As to the second part, please see my post, above. It's not as if the car makers have suddenly prescribed a ten grade downward leap. As I asked above, Ford and Honda have been spec-ing 20 for over EIGHT years now, and where are all the cars we should be seeing with ruined engines, if the 20s are really unable to do the job? Answer: they're not there because the 20s ARE doing the job, quite well actually.

And the same argument can be made for the 5-30 that's printed on the oil cap. A $45,000 307hp little V6 may have different needs than a 100hp Civic or Ford's 4.6L V8 that makes less hp than the Lexus with two extra cylinders to spread the load out. Sure, if you drive it easy all the time, go for it. Again, what do you have to gain besides a very questionable mpg gain? It "feels" smoother? I'm not saying it will blow up or won't go 100,000 miles on a 5-20 but I can't justify saving $1 a year on fuel for more potential engine wear.

Edit: I posted this before I saw the post above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back