What bike maintenance do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

I never have done my own bike maintenance, just going to the LBS instead. However, for some stuff, I think it might be fun t do a DIY.

Therefore, my question is, what DIY bike maintenance do you do? Which services need lots of specialized tools?

I have the full set of automotive tools, torque instruments, and adjustable wrenches.

What I cannot tell from the online DIY "howto" pages is if bottom brackets are something I should try to handle. It seems like they can be tough.

Hubs, on the other hand, seem simple enough. Even the rear hub should be simple enough, Id guess.

Can anyone comment? I just need to learn the basics to get started, then can go from there.

Thanks,

JMH

I've always done my own bike maintenance because my bike is not high end.

Most common maintenance I do are cleaning and putting lube on the chain, adjust/replace brakes, replace cables, adjust derailer and part replacement (i.e. shifter). I would also regrease the ball bearings and lube the cable housings.

Special tools needed are bottom bracket socket, freewheel/cassette remover, chain tool, crank puller, tire levers. General non specific bike tools include wrenches, hex keys, wire/cable cutter, and sockets. If you have a set of automotive tools, you can do a lot with it already. For bike specific tools I like Park Tool or Pedros.

Check out Park Tool website, they have how to guides online with photos, very helpful. Bottom bracket is not that difficult to replace. All you need to do is remove the pedal cranks then use the bottom bracket tools to unscrew the cap to remove the bottom bracket. Just make sure you know which direction to loosen, if I remember right the chain ring side (right) is loosen to the right and the non drive side (left) is left to loosen. Sometimes it takes a bit of elbow grease.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Hello,

I just need to learn the basics to get started, then can go from there.

Thanks,

JMH

Please do a search. This is a very basic topic.
wink.gif

Im sure it is. Too bad searching for bottom bracket and looking at the responses over 5 years doesnt give me a particularly good amount of insight into the actual time and effort it takes to do such a thing.

Park tool website is great, and they give tool part numbers, I like that... but its still difficult to get a real feel. Someone mentioned on another forum when I was searching that the online tutorials make these things look harder than they are.

At the same time, it would be nice to know what tools can really be substituted for standard stuff - negating the requirement for special bike tools that may not be worth the investment. Another thing that neither BITOG search or google has been particularly useful for.

I get stuff like this from harris cycle:
"You can get by in most cases with one cone wrench of each size and an adjustable wrench for the locknuts, but it is much easier to do the final adjustment if you have two of each needed size. These wrenches are available only in bicycle shops."

That is great, it means that if I know what size cone wrench I need, I can get by with one, though two is optimal. However, we have multiple bikes for my wife and I and each is different. So Id still like to know what exactly has no substitute, and what an be substituted, perhaps not optimally, but what can you get by without.

If you have a good suggestion, or a place to look, Im all ears.

Thanks,

JMH

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If you have a good suggestion, or a place to look, Im all ears.

Thanks,

JMH

I guess you'll have to actually look at your equipment.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I just cleaned my chain and put M1 0w40 on it
grin2.gif

My bike doesn't even have a chain. Cone bearings in the bottom bracket? Naw, we put away with those a long time ago with grandma's old Dürkopp. Now it's all cartridge bearings.

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
I've always done my own bike maintenance because my bike is not high end.

Most common maintenance I do are cleaning and putting lube on the chain, adjust/replace brakes, replace cables, adjust derailer and part replacement (i.e. shifter). I would also regrease the ball bearings and lube the cable housings.

Special tools needed are bottom bracket socket, freewheel/cassette remover, chain tool, crank puller, tire levers. General non specific bike tools include wrenches, hex keys, wire/cable cutter, and sockets. If you have a set of automotive tools, you can do a lot with it already. For bike specific tools I like Park Tool or Pedros.

Check out Park Tool website, they have how to guides online with photos, very helpful. Bottom bracket is not that difficult to replace. All you need to do is remove the pedal cranks then use the bottom bracket tools to unscrew the cap to remove the bottom bracket. Just make sure you know which direction to loosen, if I remember right the chain ring side (right) is loosen to the right and the non drive side (left) is left to loosen. Sometimes it takes a bit of elbow grease.

Pretty much what he said, except I would add:

Crank remover specific to YOUR type of BB. An older model designed for a spindle type won't work (directly) with an octalink type.

There is a bike specific wire/cable cutter which isn't supposed to crimp the ends of the housing like a regular cutter will.

When dealing with BB's, make sure you use a little grease on the threads when reinstalling or else you WILL get a creak from dry threads.

When repacking hubs, remove all of the old grease and keep track of ALL the bearings. I will clean the hub and smear a layer of grease on both cups. I'll drop the bearings back in and then slide the axle almost back in place (blocks the through hole) and drop in the other bearings. Nothing is worse than trying to shake a greased bearing out of the inside of a hub.

Use the cone wrenchs to adjust the hubs. Use a tighten/loosen approach whentaking care of the nuts. Hold both and loosen the inside nut as you are tightening the outside. If you get a bit of binding, loosen the outside one a touch and start over. It takes patience.

I'm curious as to the original question too. I want to do my own work even though my bike gets free services for life.

I was told installing new disk brakes was a job best left to the pros and within 20 minutes they were on. Another 20minutes they were adjusted perfectly. I think it's like a lot of things, you as the owner are going to do a better job than a bike shop that's pressed for time. On the first day I owned my bike, I re-adjusted the calipers for much better braking.

I ride thousands of miles every year, mostly road, some dirt. I have a complete set of bike-specific tools I've collected over the years, which can tear down and replace every part on each of my bikes....BUT...I rarely wrench on my own bikes. I would rather pay the local bike shop to fix anything that needs fixing. I LOVE riding, but HATE working on a bike. I especially loathe anything that has to do with ill-functioning derailleur and brake cables. I get angry just thinking about it. I will wrench on my own bike ONLY out of pure necessity.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I think it's like a lot of things, you as the owner are going to do a better job than a bike shop that's pressed for time. On the first day I owned my bike, I re-adjusted the calipers for much better braking.

For sure. When my girlfriend bought her bike a couple of years ago I stripped it down and built it up properly. Many bike mechanics take pride in the ability to slap four bikes together in an hour. Not me. I worked in a small shop and I typically spent a half-hour to an hour on each bike, depending on its value. It took me two hours to build the only really high end bike we ever had (a Jamis Komodo, back in 2000 when that was one of their high-end models). The last bike I bought, a 2000 KHS Team, came in pieces, with all parts in the original boxes. The shop owner was unimpressed at the work that would be involved if a customer bought one, but I sure liked building it from scratch; it saved me the work of having to take it apart!

I do all my own bike maintenance... I mean, I build diesel engines and such, so...

I like to change my cables every year or so. It keeps everything working beutifully.
I just had to buy new bottom bracket tools to service my new bike, but it's brand new, so I shouldn't have to touch it for a little while.

the problem w/ doing work yourself is the need for bicycle specific tools, i.e., cone wrenches (13, 14, 15, 16mm at least), crank puller, chain tool, spoke wrenches, etc.
I worked in shops for 15 years, and I hate when I have to do work at home. trying to work on a bike w/o a proper bike stand is like trying to do an oil change w/ramps or a jack. yes, it can be done, but it's a P I T A.
there is also no need for a home mechanic to spend money on tools to be used maybe once, if ever. why buy a BB socket if it's only going to be used to put a new one in? just have a shop do it. modern BBs cannot be serviced, it's strictly R&R.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
there is also no need for a home mechanic to spend money on tools to be used maybe once, if ever. why buy a BB socket if it's only going to be used to put a new one in?

Because the tool usually costs less than having the work done and can then be used for future work. But I'm the type of person who would pay more to do the work myself anyway. I threw out all my dealership "free oil change" cards when I bought my car new a few years ago!

I own a lot of bike tools, and it really wasn't that big of an investment. Even a bike stand is inexpensive and a good thing to have for even basic maintenance. I even store my bike on the stand.

Start off with simple repairs/maintenance.
The local "outdoor store" has these Park double ended cone wrenches for $5-6 ea. Maybe one size will fit both your bikes? If not, buy what you need, when you need it.

http://www.parktool.com/products/category.asp?cat=18

Some "one of" type jobs are simply cheaper to have done at the LBS, instead of buying a relatively expensive tool.
Many of your current hand tools will fill in just fine.
Neither of my bikes, for example, need a "pedal wrench". I have plenty of room to use my Craftsman wrench.

At a minimum, I'd get a cone wrench of the needed size(s) and a chain tool.
I wouldn't buy a BB tool unless BOTH bikes used the same ones.

Last edited:
"Some "one of" type jobs are simply cheaper to have done at the LBS, instead of buying a relatively expensive tool.
Many of your current hand tools will fill in just fine."

Much agreed. Few of us really need headset presses and frame alignment tools.

I tinker with wheels but if you are not sure, have the bike shop true them. If you play around, you will either:

Screw it up and have to get them to fix it or,

Screw it up and then break spokes while riding.

My bikes have never been in the shop for anything other than free adjustments, but I haven't had a need to change out forks or headsets either. The Park Tool site and various bicycle maintenance forums have a ton of information.

Doing your own maintenance and upgrades are a great excuse for new tools if you're into that sort of thing. I've also become my neighborhood kid's preferred pit stop.

Depending on how much I ride, every few years I'd completely disassemble, clean, and regrease all the moving parts. I enjoy adjusting bearing clearances, derailleurs, and brakes to the point of perfection. I've had my bike for 30 years.

Cassette removal socket is a must to repack most rear bearings.
Cone wrenches would be a help, but I've gotten by without them.
Shifters and derailleurs can be difficult to adjust.

Does replacing spokes count as maintenance because I do that too.

Don't waste your time trying to bend back a bent rim, just replace the rim part, their fairly cheap.

Amazon.com is a good place for bike stuff. The BITOG Pablo sells a chain tool and crank puller on sickbikeparts.com

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Depending on how much I ride, every few years I'd completely disassemble, clean, and regrease all the moving parts. I enjoy adjusting bearing clearances, derailleurs, and brakes to the point of perfection. I've had my bike for 30 years.

Same here. Takes me hours sometimes because I want them just right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back