Pennzoil Platinum vs. Amsoil annual cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which would you run if cost were no issue? I just did the math (loosely) based on my annual driving (20,000 miles per year) in stop and go city driving (50 miles round trip to work daily). Add alot of short trips and offroading in between and that pretty much sums up my drving. I’m not too sure about leaving any fluid in my truck for 25,000 miles but Amsoil is highly regarded. Which will protect my engine the best based on my driving habits? I’d love to hear your thoughts. And I’m not trying to start anything I just want to know because the annual cost is so close.

Here’s how the cost of each breaks down.

Amsoil 5W-30 (long OCI) 25,000 miles (I’d change it at 20,000)
7 quarts of oil: $62.30 (extra quart for burn off)
Oil Filter: 23.20 (long OCI) 25,000
Total $85.50 + shipping (I’m guessing $20-25?)

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 – 9,000 mile OCI (18,000 miles total)
6 quarts of oil: $39
Wix Oil Filter: $6.80
Total: $45.80 each oil change (2x which equals $91.60 for the year)

first thing I would do is get with one of the Amsoil site sponsors and sign up for the preferred customer program. The ASL is then $6.95 per quart and with the 6 month sign up you're still $4 ahead just in the oil. May be more depending on whether or not the filters are Amsoil or Wix.

I'm sure there is, but 25k in one year is exceptional. One year is easy enough. That is, you'll find a heck of a lot more one year "backeruppers" than you have 25-35k'rs.

isn't the cost of being a PC somewhere around 10 or $20/year? I'm sure that would play into the overall cost as well, looking at everything.

Before getting too focused on the money aspect, make sure you understand the differences between the two oils. The Amsoil has slightly higher viscosity across the board, includng HTHS. I haven't seen TBN numbers reported for the PP, but Amsoils 12.2 is quite high. Personally though, I think the most significant difference in is the volatility, 12.5 for the PP vs 7.1 for the Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: jpr
I haven't seen TBN numbers reported for the PP, but Amsoils 12.2 is quite high. Personally though, I think the most significant difference in is the volatility, 12.5 for the PP vs 7.1 for the Amsoil.

Amsoil's volatility is questionable IMO. When they test other oils, they are always lower than what the actual product data sheets show. Check out Amsoil's comparative testing vs the PDS's of Pennzoil.

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.aspx

This is for the 10w-30. Amsoil should have lower volatility due to the PAO base oil. They have PP 10w-30 as 6.5% for Noack. Test methods appear to be the same.

Originally Posted By: gnet158
Which would you run if cost were no issue?...

Here’s how the cost of each breaks down.

Amsoil ....
Total $85.50 + shipping (I’m guessing $20-25?)

Pennzoil Platinum ....
Total: $45.80 each oil change (2x which equals $91.60 for the year)

I'm not entirely sure I understand your reasoning here...but if cost isn't an issue, run the Amsoil, it's been proven time and time again.

Clark

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: jpr
I haven't seen TBN numbers reported for the PP, but Amsoils 12.2 is quite high. Personally though, I think the most significant difference in is the volatility, 12.5 for the PP vs 7.1 for the Amsoil.

Amsoil's volatility is questionable IMO. When they test other oils, they are always lower than what the actual product data sheets show. Check out Amsoil's comparative testing vs the PDS's of Pennzoil.

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.aspx

This is for the 10w-30. Amsoil should have lower volatility due to the PAO base oil. They have PP 10w-30 as 6.5% for Noack. Test methods appear to be the same.

That is interesting. PP's data sheet for the 10W-30 lists it at 9.7

I think the big difference between the two is Tbn. PP Tbn is about 10 vs 12.1 for the Amsoil. Both probably use high quality VM's. Shell makes supposedly one of the best VII's on the market. Both are very high quality oils but the edge would go to Amsoil for me. PP is a very competitive synthetic oil though reasonably priced and meets as many OEM spec's as Mobil 1 which is impressive.

2 oil and filter changes per year with PP is better than one change per year with Amsoil.

What type of truck, year and mileage. Amsoil 5w-30 for severe service is 15,000 mile in 1 year or less.

Also can PP go 9,000 miles under this severe type of driving.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
What type of truck, year and mileage. Amsoil 5w-30 for severe service is 15,000 mile in 1 year or less.

Also can PP go 9,000 miles under this severe type of driving.

You're assuming 15k is doable in all cases with Amsoil.

No.

I change the oil once a year in my 1996 Volvo and the engine is spotless and UOA's are great. I certainly don't go 20,000 miles per year anymore (more like 12K) with this car, but I have done a 20K UOA and the oil was in good shape.

32.gif
I'm coming up on my 12 month OCI (I'm using SSO) - and just for sport I may run Pennzoil YB 5W-30.....uh but I'm not even thinking I should go 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back