My motorized bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the idea of using this type of China motor from Pablo. A few years ago I have been wanting a $500 bike motor kit from staton, but $165 for this kit felt like a better value.

The bike is a Huffy with the fork and front wheel being from a Magna. This bike was a temporary build, the engine is being transfered over to a beach cruiser bike, because this bike is just worn out. Notice it only has front brakes and those don't even work very well. There is oil all over the front of the engine because I've been running super-tech oil at 16 to 1.
It get around 130mpg and goes about 26mph because it has a 50 tooth rear sprocket. I've beat the [censored] out of it for over 400 miles and about the only problems I have encountered is a lose chain, broken master link, lose bolts, leaking intake gasket and broken throttle cable end.
IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

if ya can't duct it....$^#@ it.

How loud is that engine? I cant imagine it would be fun riding it for very long if it was as loud as a weedeater.

It really isn't much louder than a scooter running full till. It's high pitched so the sound does not travel into people homes like loud motorcycles and cars do. My helmet helps with the noise.
THH helment
I've been on 3 hour rides before so it isn't that bad, and gloves help with the vibrations.

Pablo, maybe I'll get you kit in the future, but not right now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TylerL
It really isn't much louder than a scooter running full till. It's high pitched so the sound does not travel into people homes like loud motorcycles and cars do.

The heck it doesn't! 2-stroke is IMO a way more irritating pitch, kind of like a baby crying which evolution-wise we are not supposed to like.

My bike #1
Bike #2, which I bought new and sold shortly thereafter.

A still pic of #2

Incidentally what is that on the hot wheels speedo? A shift light? Does it work?

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Incidentally what is that on the hot wheels speedo? A shift light? Does it work?

It's a flashing speed indicator. When bicycle speed passes over 5 M/hr but below 10 M/hr, the LED light turns on for 3 seconds once. When bicycle speed reaches 10 M/hr or over, the LED light flashes for 3 seconds.
That's straight from the manual, it's a kids speedo I guess.
21.gif

I got My Moon Dog last Friday, so I'll get that mounted up soon.

Motorized bike is no more, I stripped it of its motor. Now I have major motorbike withdrawal.

Today I painted the motor engine enamel aluminum to make it easier to clean and improve appearance. I also brought my new 33 tooth sprocket to a machinist friend. 42 mph here I come. I'm also hoping for better fuel economy with the new sprocket, maybe around 175mpg.

Using a 2500 pound car to haul around a 130 pound person just doesn't feel right when I know I could be getting 140 mpg with a 60 pound bike.

Ride safe and watch out for cagers.

Ordered the Moon Dog on Ebay for 107.50 and when the bike arrived it looked like Fedex ran it over, but everything was still their.

First thing I did was take off the fenders and trade the whitewall tires for Kenda Kross tires, these have a smooth center and knobby sides. (The front fender mount broke after 40 miles of wet weather use, it could have been really bad but it wasn't.)

Second I added the rack, speedometer and figured out the best way to mount the motor.

Third, Got the new 33 tooth rear sprocket back from machining and put everything together.
I was able to Hit 41 mph with a tail wind on level road and 38 mph riding superman style.

I only had one serious problem. It was when the tensioner loosen, causing the chain to bunch up around the output sprocket and catch on housing near the sprocket. This made the back wheel lock up, and trashed the spokes. I was able to rebuild the wheel myself with the help of $25 worth of DT Swiss stainless steel spokes. Also repacked rear bearings while I had the cassette off.

I'm using Valvoline snowmobile oil at 28:1. It's only $3 a quart a the local gas station. I looked for Citgo air cooled oil because it is JASO FC certified, but could not locate any.

Fedex just surprised my with a $100 check, It must have been the delivery guy who got me that because of how he marked it on his computer.

I do ride to class when I can. It's about 7 miles one-way.
Vibrations aren't bad at all, full throttle all day, no problem.
100_0108.jpg

100_0109.jpg

100_0110.jpg

100_0107.jpg

054.jpg

055.jpg

Thanks youngmoparguy

The tail light has working turn signals, a brake light and a light for a night. It was $10 on ebay and is made for the Chinese market. I broke the mount for it today when my school bag hit it. I'm still working on the mounting it because I want it attached to the back of the rack but the wire that runs to the control box mounted on the handle bars isn't long enough. The solution will most likely involve zip ties and wire splicing.

I'll also add a bright taillight for my night adventures.

Scrap that turn signal/brake light thing because it got damaged the first it came loose and destroyed the second time it came loose the lens broke off.

I will update on future changes/problems.

How do these bikes do on steep hills?

I live at the top of a pretty major hill. There is no way to avoid coming back up on the way home. It's not san fransisco steep, but steep all the same.

I'm thinking of buying one of these babies from pablo for a little winter project.

Jim, I am able to climb what I think are 10% slopes fairly easily, even with my tall gearing.

Don't expect to be able to use it like a normal bike because the drive chain and clutch shaft make pedaling more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back