Anyone using Fedora 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This distro seems to be a bit lethargic compared to Ubuntu, but it is nice all in all. I wish the fonts of openSuse were as nice as Fedora's.

I've never been much a of a fan for Red Hat products, but this is a polished distro that's worth using IMO.

I used it and there were some hardware support and performance issues. I found it to be somewhat unstable. I use Zenwalk now on my x86 and Ubuntu for x86_64 boxes. I have tried just about every distro you can name (latest versions) and settled on these two. To get back to the point, however, one nice thing I've found about Red Hat is the package availability and support.

I've used Fedora off and on since it's inception. I ran their maiden release as well as a number of their original release candidates; after RedHat went corporate and the development of Fedora began by the Fedora team with Redhat's support.

It's a decent product, but it's not designed to be incredible stable or "consumer grade" because that was what the Fedora project was all about.

In many ways, it is very much a testing ground for RHEL. It gets the packages out there into a user base that Redhat would otherwise not have access to and it allows them to troubleshoot/beta test these packages on non mission-critical systems; those of the Linux enthusiasts. Eventually they integrate the stable by-products into their RHEL releases.

Hardware support "out of the box" for any Linux distro isn't going to be perfect. Part of the fun of Linux is then building your own kernel with support for YOUR hardware; reducing your kernel size by omitting support for hardware you will never use and perhaps choosing modules for hardware you MIGHT add down the road. Just because it's not supported out of the box doesn't mean it won't work.

I'm not proficient with Linux yet... I can't get my ATI driver package to install... ugh. OpenSUSE 11 is also giving me problems with Add/Remove Programs function. My father's system has Ubuntu and Youtube and other applications where a 3D accelerator is used is much better. His system is slower too... any suggestions? I could remove OpenSuse and put Ubuntu...

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Probably resolution related. What does your xorg.conf file look like?

That's a good question. Where to find said file? (So much for my UNIX helping me out here huh?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back