Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, new user

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lifelong Windows user here starting with Windows 95 to XP SP3. I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS with a dual boot.
I have never used linux at all until now! I don't even know how to put in the commands, but I'm going to learn. With all the vista problems, windows not supporting XP anymore, and having to buy a new pc to use vista. two of my pcs have max ram of 2 GB. I decided to use the free OS. I hardly know anything at all with this operating system. I just figured out to enable my wireless USB with this OS. My audio doesn't work, I had a hard time extracting files, and I'm shocked that my ubuntu book that I got from the library said that you don't need an antivirus program. any other ubuntu users here?

If you are adamant about learning about Linux, then installing something like Gentoo is really going to verse you quickly.

That being said, Ubuntu is a great little distro that is easy to use and doesn't require a lot of use of the console most of the time.

Over the years I have used several distributions of Linux and am running Ubuntu.

There are a couple of books that I highly recommend.

1. The Official Ubuntu Book.

2. Hacking Ubuntu

Your local book store should have them or can get them for you.

You don't need to know any of the typed in commands to use Ubuntu. I have been using it, exclusively, for years. (but i know the commands) However I have set up 3 people who use it and they are very happy with it.

A some things that usually annoy new users

1) Flash player needs to be installed
2) Java needs to be installed.

Some things that befuddle new users
1) there are no "C:, D: or E:" drives; all filesystems including mounted CD roms, USB's etc are contained within one file tree.

I find it odd that audio is not working; I have not had linux audio issues since 2000 or so. Right click on the speaker icon in the top right corner and "open volume manager" Play around with the PCM and Master control sliders. There is also a control panel under System -> Preferences -> Sound.

It is unlike Windows, you will spend more time learning things, than fixing things.....

Last edited:
You may want to try the 32 bit version of KiWi Linux which is based on Ubuntu.

Link To KiWi Linux

Friendly distribution.

It is what I am currently running.

If you need to install Java, open up the terminal and type the following.

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

So Java will work with Firefox, do the following.

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin
sudo update-alternatives --config java

Quote:

then installing something like Gentoo is really going to verse you quickly.

OverK, he has his big toe in the water in the shallow end; You're suggesting a cannonball into the deep end.... I suggest he learns to swim first.

I fear a Gentoo install may get him carried off by men in white jackets

Last edited:
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, I DID preface it with "If you are adamant about learning about Linux", not meaning that he necessarily HAD to give it a shot
wink.gif

MS is still supporting XP for a few years yet. They don't sell it very easily, but they still support it.

Another version of Ubuntu that has more distribution packages installed and is user friendly for new users I have found is Linux Mint.

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa.php

Yet another version worth investigating is gOS which too is based on Ubuntu.

Link To gOS

gOS works on older computers well too as it uses a lighter version of Gnome.

It is also found on new computers sold with Linux installed as the O/S.

For a beginner Linux user I recommend Pendrive Linux. I installed it on a 1gig usb drive and it worked on the first try.

I just typed this post in Firefox running on Pendrive Linux.

Thanks to SrDriver who recommended it a few weeks ago.

Check it out at pendrivelinux.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back