ACEA A1/B1 vs ACEA A3/B3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kukaepe
My '07 MINI Cooper S (direct injected, turbo gas 1.6l) calls for ACEA A3/B3 Synthetic oil at intervals when the ECU recommends an oil change. First time the ECU called for an oil change was at approximately 18K miles. My habit has been to change the oil and filter in all my cars at 5K intervals. My question is if I am going to change the oil at 5K intervals is an ACEA A1/B1 oil adequate? Are the differences in the two oil ratings for those applications with extended oil change intervals? ACEA A3/B3 rated synthetics in a 5W-30 weight is not easily found in the USA. Any thoughts? Thanks Mike

Mike,

I read too many answers that didn't address your question directly.

It is 'reasonable' to use an A1/B1 and reduce the OCI. The problem can be warranty if ever required. I'm thinking like you; 18K OCI on a direct-inject turbo .... NO THANKS...5K sounds prudent and cautious in early years of vehicle. I would still be inclined to look for A3 but generally much more costly so economically the OCI should be extended... If spec is 18K I would use a A3 to 9K as example.

Hi,
IMHO you are unwise to use a A1/B1 ACEA quality rated lubricant if an A3/B3 quality rated one is required by the engines manufacturer

If you cannot find a 5W-30 A3/B3 synthetic then M1 0W-40 will do just fine! A3/B3 does not fit with many SAE lubricants!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back