Honda GCV160

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealers are hedgy about the horsepower of these engines.
Brother just got a new Lawn Boy with this motor. He figures about 5.5 hp. But Honda often under rates their engines.
Any reliable figures about the true horsepower rating?

Most engines are rated by torque now, I know. But I have a hard time believing that the Briggs&Straton engines, which rate higher in torque, actually out perform Honda.

I see Sears offers a Kawazaki engined mower that's get to be 7.5 hp or more. To bad it doesn't cut grass all that well, acording to Consumer Reports.

Comments??

Yep. Lots of retailers simply list them by engine displacement now too. With the new lot of OHV/OHC jobs, you don't even notice the difference between ~4-6.5hp. Most of your new push mowers run at max governed speed all the time so they can be made cheap and emissions compliant.

Joel

But Briggs list 6.75 ft/lb and 198cc.
Sounds like it's more powerful than Honda. IS IT?
I'm skeptical.
Honda often under rates it's engines, but my brother just got a
mower that seems 'weak' according to him. He'll have the dealer look at it later in the week.
Of course, he's used to the 2 cycle Lawn Boys: he had four of them and a stash of parts.

my air compressor is rated at 4hp, but it runs on a 15A fused 120V circuit....

air compressors, lawn mowers, there all in it together, freaking criminals !

try looking at the engine displacement numbers to get an idea if one engine is going be more/less powerful than other. If you see 10-20% reduction in displacement but a higher hp rating than other similar engines you know they're lying.
Generally, the overhead valve engines (honda gcv) will have more power because of better cylinder head flow compared to the stupid B&S side valve head.

Best would be an opinion.
Many use HDEO oils. Some use HM (high mileage) oils.
I'm 100% synthetic in all things I have.
10W-30 most parts of the country.
Brand name auto oil is as good or better that most small engine oils.
I'm not a big fan of straight grade oils.

My new GCV190 seems to be very powerful. Much more so than the GCV160. The engine on the 190 sounds deeper and more powerful to. I was quite surprised when I first started it. My 160 engine says 5.5 hp on it (7yrs old). So I'm guessing the 190 is at least 6.5.

Quote:
Brand name auto oil is as good or better that most small engine oils.

I raise a red flag to this statement. We have never had a consensus here whether an energy saving auto SM oil with less additives and designed for water cooled engines is up to the task for hotter, air cooled engines.

I know that Kohler's 30W and 10W30 oils are HDEO rated and I believe SJ (more additives) rated. I "think" Briggs oil is also(not sure). Kawasaki still recommends SJ oil in their commercial outdoor equip. too.

Just making a comment regarding your general statement above. I have no intention to debate this

Originally Posted By: 3oilmat1
what is the best oil and weight to put in this mower

I run Amsoil small engine formula, 10W30/30W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back