Diesel fuel in gas engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vacationed this week in SC, and coming home had trouble finding gas. Got in one line to find out it was the only pump with fuel, but it was diesel! There was a guy in line with a flex fuel vehicle and he was going to try some diesel! We told him it was a bad idea but he felt he didn't have any choice. We went 50 or 60 miles further and found a station who only had 87 octane, which was what I use anyway. Saw a lot of stations totally out. After I got home I read an article that many motorists ran out of gas while waiting in line! Guess the whole SE is bad, and also along the coast.

Diesel in a gas engine? Not smart; hope it worked out for that guy.

As far as the gas situation goes here in the SE USA, it's very strange. Some stations around me have had all 3 grades since the storm, some have been completely out, and a large % are only selling 87 octance for now. That's what I've been running in my GTI for the last couple weeks.

Salesrep (Bitog vendor) posted in the diesel forum about bad fuel in Atlanta because of the storm. Caveat emptor at the gas pump!

how is it even possible? isn't the diesel nozzle MUCH larger than a gas nozzle to prevent just that sort of thing?

From http://autorepair.about.com/cs/faqs/l/bl094g.htm

" Exactly what damage would diesel fuel cause to a gasoline engine?

Thanks for your help,
Erica

A.

Well Erica, that would depend on how much diesel in how much gas. Diesel fuel is actually an oil, in fact, almost exactly the same as home heating oil. And diesel has a much higher flash point, the point when a fuel ignites, than gasoline which is what makes it perfect for diesels.

So if you put, say one gallon of diesel fuel in a 13 gallon tank, you wouldn't even notice it. If you put one gallon of diesel fuel in a five gallon tank, you will notice a bluish colored smoke coming from the exhaust.

If you put four gallons of diesel in a five gallon tank, at the worst the engine will not run. If it does, it will run very rough, be blowing blue smoke and doing a [censored] fine job of carbon fouling the spark plugs. "

Originally Posted By: Kazan

If you put four gallons of diesel in a five gallon tank, at the worst the engine will not run. ....

You mispilled "best"

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: Kazan

If you put four gallons of diesel in a five gallon tank, at the worst the engine will not run. ....

You mispilled "best"
The glass is half full or half empty???

A lot of stations around me are back to full capacity. And there are a few still bagged.

I've never had trouble finding gas, even back when the storm's effects were really being felt.

Dad used to have an equipment rental business. One time someone filled up a gas 2 ton dump truck with diesel. They thought anything that big had to take diesel.

They managed to drive it back to us, but it would hardly run. We drained the tank, refilled, and it ran fine again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back